Saturday, November 23, 2013

Here it comes …

The weather outside is getting frightful. It's not like it doesn't do this every year. West Virginia does have four seasons, after all. But it sure looks like today's the day to walk outside, and the rest of the week I'll be dreadmilling and ellipticalling and maybe even rowing, oh my. (If I get the rowing machine fixed. Not saying I will, but ONE NEVER KNOWS.)

I'm finally beginning to think about the holidays. Retailers have been thinking about them since Halloween, but I'm lagging a bit. And I'm less enthusiastic then I usually am. Which is to say not very. My Christmas present to me was to have been reaching my goal weight, a quest which began last December 26. It's not going to happen without some kind of Christmas miracle.

I'm happy to be where I am, though, which is more than 50 pounds lighter than a year ago at this time. Gotta keep that attitude of gratitude, always, obviously, but especially as the holidays approach.

I'm grateful to have found a way of eating that has, so far, worked to stabilize my weight and keep me feeling satisfied. I don't feel like I'm missing anything. And honestly? If I wanted to eat something off-limits, i.e., grain- or dairy- or legume- or sugar-based, it wouldn't kill me. I've been eating those foods all my life and I'm still here, 62-1/2 years later. But I'd still probably pass, because I don't want to feel bad.

I might be the biggest chicken in the paleo coop. After doing a Whole 30, you're supposed to reintroduce one of those four food groups to determine your reaction. I'm of the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" camp and have pretty much stayed the course, save for a couple of special occasions. I haven't been on a strict Whole 30 all this time, but I've been a pretty strict paleo eater since April.

And even though this post might not sound like it, I've never been happier, or sassier, in my life. I only wish I'd started sooner.

However, as my late mother used to say, "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride." Wishing things were different doesn't make them different.

But it reinforces that I need to keep on doing what I've been doing, if I want similar results.

Pretty simple.

Unlike holiday shopping. Sigh.

1 comment:

Kitten With a Whiplash said...

I used to know a guy who did a lot of wishing and a lot of whining. Just for him I changed that quote to "If wishes was horses, you'd be whining about the cost of hay and horseshoes."

Have a Happy (albeity chilly) Thanksgiving.

Day Last

 Mike finished his chemo yesterday. The cumulative effects of four rounds beginning in early July are making him pretty uncomfortable, and t...