Skip to main content

Sunny night in Georgia

Don't you just love people who quit posting to their blog, start a new one and then quit posting to that one, too?

I learned last Saturday as my husband and I were getting ready to go to a luncheon that my father was critically ill in Florida. I live in West Virginia. That call came around noon; we were in Florida by 4 a.m. Sunday.

He was in septicemic shock due to an infected knee replacement; the infection was throughout his bloodstream and was attacking his vital organs. Kidneys first, which meant dialysis. Then his heart - he suffered an MI Sunday or Monday. He needed surgery to remove the infected knee appliance but was too ill to have the surgery.

His doctors eventually decided to sedate him, scope the knee and flush it with antibiotics rather than put him under a general anesthetic. This is a stopgap measure; he will eventually have to go through the surgery but not until after he's been on IV antibiotics for three or four weeks.

I consider myself a spiritual person, although not a particularly religious one. The only way my dad was going to recover was through the power of prayer, and that power was present in a big way. On Monday I thought he was going to die. Last night he was singing! This morning before I started back home he was drinking coffee and eating grits. God is good, and miracles happen.

He'll have a long, difficult recovery ahead. At least two more knee surgeries and months of rehab. He's still confused and trying to puzzle out how he could have lost eight days of his life. He thinks he lives in Ohio and it's December, but he knows his dog's name. And mine.

I'm in Savannah now, about halfway home, and this is the first chance I've had to get on a computer that will let me access Blogger. (The hospital system blocks blogs, MySpace and YouTube - all the fun stuff.) Sorry about being MIA all week, but my priorities were in order, I think.

Go hug your dads, and tell them you love them.


denise said…
Debbi, so glad things are turning around for your Dad. You never know how things will work out. It is true that God works in mysterious ways.

I agree you definitely had your priorities straight. We blog readers are definitely down the list from sick relatives etc. (Not that we didn't miss you, of course)

Safe travels home.
G.G. said…
So sorry to hear about all the trouble your father has had, but v. glad to see he's doing better. Hope things de-stress for you next week!
knitting08816 said…
I'm so glad to hear that your Dad is doing better. Hope your trip home is a safe one.
Anne M. said…
You have your priorities in exactly the right order. I'm glad you were able to drop everything and go to be with your father at a time he needed you and your prayers.
M@rla said…
Oh I'm so sorry to hear about your father! And so glad about the miraculous turnaround.
Grumpy Chair said…
So glad your father is recovering from a serious infection and hope you are safely home.

Popular posts from this blog


Update on the water: the circuit breaker tripped, either due to a power surge when the electricity came back on last night OR when lightning struck in the area. My neighbor's electric fence control box got hit in the same area. He was able to reset the circuit breaker for us and we have WATER! I think I'll go do a load of laundry. Heh.


Well. Well, well, well. Should this morning's scale number be divided between two weeks, or did all of it happen this past week? It's an easy number to divide, and I've been consistent for two weeks, so it should probably be split, doncha think?

That means I lost three pounds for each of the last two weeks. SIX pounds total. Excuse me, I mean
SIX!!!!!! I'm going to do everything I can to stay on track while I'm gone this week. There's little more I can promise. I'm really motivated to keep it up. The dumbbells are packed (and my luggage weighs a ton!), I'm taking a thermos of water in the car and I know where are the rest stops are between here and Nashville. I think I'll walk a bit at each of them, then walk again when I arrive at my destination. Hope to get a total of 80 minutes done by the end of the day. SIX!!!!!!

And the winner is …

Kitten with a Whiplash, who left two comments and it was the second (which had nothing to do with the contest) which won the prize. Congratulations, and since the Kitten was the only commenter who expressed any interest in actually winning it, I'm so glad the Universe took care of it. Heh.

What a weekend! But first, how was yours? I hope you did some fun stuff and got some necessary stuff done, as well. It's all about balance.

Saturday was our fun day (but we had to drive, drive, drive to get there and then drive, drive, drive home again, all in one day, boy was I tired). We went to my husband's granddaughter's first birthday party. In addition to a sweet little doll, suitable for ages 0+ (meaning it has no parts that will come loose, and do you know how difficult it is to find dolls for babies when you live in the Middle of Nowhere?), I made her this:

I haven't sewn anything in a month of Sundays, so was a little apprehensive about finishing it on time, but this p…