Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Recovering from the weekend

Oh, that used to have such a different meaning for me, back when drinking was my number-one sport.

Now, though, I’m recovering from long drives and road food.

I took four days off from training, Friday through Monday. I didn’t manage to get a long run in last week, as I’d planned, but I’m just now starting the fourth of the 16 weeks of training, so I don’t think it will hurt in the long run. The long run – heh.

The weekend was great in many ways, with the food situation being the only part that was out of my control. Here’s how weird I am: We went to Panera for lunch Sunday and I was craving a salad! Nearly every meal Friday and Saturday was fried or starchy carbs. I glanced briefly at the Panera bagel menu (love their asiago bagels), and then moved along to the chicken caesar.

Amazingly, the scale hasn’t yet displayed any damage, making me think – in the warped corner of my brain – that eating fast food won’t affect my weight after all. I realize all a scale does is report information, but sometimes I think it has a mean sense of humor.

Four days sans running was good for my pace, though. Yesterday’s scheduled three easy miles at a 12:47 pace weren’t too difficult, and I knocked 1:30 off the total target time, averaging 12:17.

I didn’t knit a stitch the whole time I was gone, but managed a few rounds last night on a pullover I’m making for myself. As I look at it on the needles, I think it’s going to be too small. Hopefully by the time it’s cold enough to wear it, I’ll be a little smaller, as well.

No comments:

Day Last

 Mike finished his chemo yesterday. The cumulative effects of four rounds beginning in early July are making him pretty uncomfortable, and t...