Monday, March 30, 2009

Unfinished business

I’m the kind of person who, as a rule, likes to finish a project in one session. There are obvious exceptions, of course – knitting comes immediately to mind. But I don’t really count knitting as a ‘project.’ Knitting is more of a process for me, something to keep my hands busy while I watch television sports.

It is for this reason that I’m not much of a seamstress. When I do sew, I’ll cut the pattern out one day and set the entire next day aside for the actual sewing part. Which is, most of the time, unrealistic.

And because I know this about myself, it’s pretty freaking amazing that anything ever got painted. Buying the supplies was one thing; actually moving the furniture, taping the windows/woodwork, putting the rest of my life on hold and opening the paint can was another. I can hide the supplies in a box behind the couch and pretend they’re not there. But, eventually, I have to bite the bullet and accept that my living space is going to be chaotic for a few days.

I’d love to report that the painting/redecorating project is done, done, done, but alas – it isn’t. The part of the space remaining to be painted is very tall and I’m … not. I need to borrow a tall ladder before I can continue. Do you know how much this is driving me crazy?

It’s kind of like a body remodeling project, isn’t it? We decide what we’re going to do, get rid of the junk, gather the proper supplies and get started, full of enthusiasm and energy. In the beginning we don’t think about how long it’s going to take or if we ever will, actually, finish. We tweak it as we go along, compromising on some things, adding something new once in a while, trying different workout regimens or recipes. All to keep things interesting and to give us the illusion that we’re making progress.

I ran out of paint for the end tables yesterday, which means a trip to Lowe’s to replenish supplies. And since Wal-Mart is right across the street from Lowe’s, I might as well replenish some food supplies while I’m at it.

I might even pick up some fabric for a little sewing project I have in mind.

No comments:

Day Last

 Mike finished his chemo yesterday. The cumulative effects of four rounds beginning in early July are making him pretty uncomfortable, and t...