Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Knitting and running! On the same day!

Yes, kids, I actually managed to both knit and run yesterday, something that hasn't happened in a very long time.

Since my to-do list was as long as my shadow, I decided to do the run first thing. Usually when I run that's all I get done that day. But yesterday there were too many "must-dos" on the list, and I knew I would have to slog through them or else.

My husband took my car to work yesterday (his is in the shop) so my running route started in my driveway and went two miles out and back on my hilly road. I didn't expect a good time and certainly didn't get it – four miles in 58:25. But I felt good, had fun and didn't feel like I'd had a two-week layoff. Pretty amazing.

I got home and immediately tackled the floors, which hadn't been cleaned in, um, let's just say several days, shall we? With two shedding dogs and a husband who tracks in everything, it was getting kinda gross. I dust-mopped and then damp-mopped.

Before I left for the run I popped some laundry in, and when I got home I transferred the damp load to the dryer and put a new load in the washer. One more thing checked off.

Before my husband left for work, he asked me to keep an eye on the U.S. Open, so I took advantage of that request and sat down to eat lunch and then knit a bit (almost finished with a doll outfit).

The Open ended at 1:30-ish and I headed out to mow. And mow. And mow. Because today's schedule is pretty packed, I knew I'd have to cut all three acres in one day. Finished up about 4 p.m., got cleaned up and started dinner.

I made buttons and posters yesterday evening. The one thing left undone was ironing the t-shirt transfers onto the shirts. (See yesterday's post if you don't know what I'm talking about.) That won't take too long; I can squeeze it in sometime today.

The point of all this blather is to say that we can do what we set out to do if we put our minds to it. The tasks at hand seem to take up the time available, whether that time is a full day or a few hours. What I proved to myself yesterday is that running first thing in the morning doesn't mean I've used up my EQ (Energy Quotient) for the entire day. And I also learned that I need to take a little time to do something quiet and relaxing to gear up for the rest of the day.

Now to remember the lessons next time I feel like putting off the run.

1 comment:

denise said...

I'm exhausted just reading about your day! But I definitely know what you mean about tasks and the time you have...my old boss used to always say that any given task will expand to fill the time allotted to it. Probably the wisest thing he ever said, because it certainly seems to be true if you don't keep an eye on it.

Glad to hear your first foray back into running was a good one. I actually went walking on Sunday. I felt so good after that I thought I would want to do it again on Monday. But alas, when the alarm went off at 6:15, I pulled a rollover manuever instead of getting up and going walking.

Sigh...one of these days I'll get back into it...

Good luck with your event. Hope it goes well.

Day Last

 Mike finished his chemo yesterday. The cumulative effects of four rounds beginning in early July are making him pretty uncomfortable, and t...