Monday, January 25, 2010

Rain, rain, go away

I need to slap myself upside the head and get over it already. Get over what? This dreary weather. My kids like to say, "It is what it is," and I suppose they're right. If you are of a certain age, or if you like music from the late '60s, you might be familiar with the "No Rain" chant from Woodstock. That's how I feel today. Except without all that energy.

At least I'm not sleeping in a tent city. I have to keep reminding myself that life could be a lot, lot worse, and that it is a lot, lot worse for hundreds of thousands of Haitians. Also? I don't have to milk a cow twice a day. Heh.

So it's the Colts vs. the Saints in the Big Game. I was hoping Brett would pull one more victory out of his you-know-what. I would have been fine with the outcome of a Colts/Vikings Super Bowl no matter who won. As I drifted off to sleep last night, I felt a familiar pang of sadness that football season ends in two weeks. Baseball season doesn't start for two months. At least the WVU Mountaineers are doing fairly well in college hoops.

My name is Debbi, and I'm a sports nut.

You long-time readers will be familiar with my angst about lifting weights. I know it's a good thing to do and I know it increases one's metabolism and I know Strong Women Stay Young. But I've had an awfully hard time over the years putting all that knowledge into practice.

Well, something (maybe, hopefully) clicked last week and I've done my piddly little weight-training routine (three sets, 10 reps, six moves with fairly light dumbbells) every other day for an entire week! Yeah, me! I've also walked on the treadmill a couple of times (until it spontaneously quits) and took an hour-long walk outside yesterday morning. Before it started raining. And raining. And raining.

I know this thing for sure: I can't lose weight without doing some kind of physical activity. And did I mention it's raining? If I can't walk inside and I can't walk outside, I must be desperate enough to hoist a couple of dumbbells in order to burn a couple more calories.

It is what it is.

2 comments:

Elora said...

The weather god is listening to you, Debbi....no, the weather god is reading your blog! Bright sunshine outside, now. Perfect for milking a cow! Perfect for walking, too, so long as you don't walk under the trees (windy!) But hurry...it won't be for long!

Elora

gingersnapper said...

There's got to be some kind of strength training you can enjoy! There are so many different protocols and routines, maybe there's something out there that you would actually like to do. "Enjoy" being a relative term of course; for instance there is no cardio in the universe that I actually "enjoy."

I like routines that move along quickly. If you have netflix, I recommend trying Gilad's Intervals for Men (misnamed; men are shown doing the routine but there's no reason for women not to do it). It's fast-paced and uses light weights.

Day Last

 Mike finished his chemo yesterday. The cumulative effects of four rounds beginning in early July are making him pretty uncomfortable, and t...