Thursday, October 7, 2010

Aack! My brain!

As a newish BlackBerry user, I really haven't thought twice about battery charging. I plug the device into the charger at night and when I'm in the car, and it charges while it's tethered to the computer.

This morning at around 4:00, a tiny, gentle alert sounded from the nightstand. I thought I'd set an alarm by accident and decided not to even look at the phone. Of course after I woke up a little bit (because who can go back to sleep when you hear a tone you've never heard before?), I did look, and saw a Low Battery Alert. Hmmm. Never had one of those. And it's been plugged into the charger all night. Hmmm. Hmmm.

Okay, I'm wide awake by 4:15. You see, I'm going on a trip. TODAY. On a plane. And, well, I'm going to need my BlackBerry brain while I'm gone. We (BB and I) headed to the office, got online, Googled "yellow LED red battery icon" and found out what to do. During the various solutions I tried, I discovered that the plug-in charger I've been using works fine on my husband's flip phone, but wasn't supplying a charge to the Curve.

Hmmm. Hmmm. Hmmm.

No time to figure that one out. The charger we've been using for his phone works fine on mine, so I traded for a player to be named later. Heh.

What this means is I won't have to leave earlier than I'd planned in order to stop at the US Cellular store on the way to the airport. (US Cellular offers free battery swaps when your battery dies.) As of now (obviously, since I'm online), the battery is fully charged and appears to be holding the charge nicely.

I really had no intention of getting up at 4 a.m. though.

As for blogging while I'm gone, I'm not sure if it will happen. I had big plans for writing a couple posts to be published later, but that hasn't happened. I need to do a lot of house stuff, I need to pack, I need to take my walk, I need to drive to the airport … all of that stuff takes time. Waking up a couple hours early doesn't help much, since my husband is still sleeping. All I've accomplished is resurrecting the BlackBerry and doing one load of laundry. Vacuuming makes noise. Packing means I need to be in the bedroom. It's too dark to walk.

I'm too rattled to write anything coherent, as this post clearly proves!

Anyway, I did manage to walk yesterday in town. If you're a Facebook friend you saw the photo. And if you're not a Facebook friend, why aren't you? (If you scroll down the left sidebar of this page, you'll find a link to Facebook me.)

The advantage of walking in town became very clear to me about half an hour into the walk: public restrooms! That's not something we have out here in the Middle of Nowhere, so you really have to plan ahead. Or learn to cop a squat, something I've not managed to do very well. Yet. Practice makes perfect.

My brother will be fetching me at the airport tonight and the weekend will be emotional and sweet and offer, maybe, a little more closure to the events of the past month. If I have time to blog and something to say, I probably will. If not, well, I'll be back next week. Behave yourselves!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

But what if we don't want to behave ourselves?

I hope your weekend is indeed sweet and emotional and brings some closure to these last weeks. You'll be in our thoughts.

Day Last

 Mike finished his chemo yesterday. The cumulative effects of four rounds beginning in early July are making him pretty uncomfortable, and t...