Thursday, April 7, 2011

A bright, bright, bright sunshiny day



Now that I've planted that earworm …

Today will begin with a walk in this bright morning sunshine, followed by lunch, followed by work!

I hope you are all as excited about your jobs as I am about mine. I wasn't sure I'd get to work this summer, what with the potential nursing gig, but now that we have the all-clear (benign is such a sweet word), I'm good to go back to the garden center for my two-afternoons-a-week "job."

It's not a job – it's fun and educational and fulfilling and rewarding and I was really going to miss it. But now I don't have to, unless my husband has a doctor's appointment in another state (as he will next week). The folks who own the garden center are very understanding friends, and were an important part of our support team the past couple weeks.

I was there yesterday and brought home three forsythia bushes and a dozen cruciferous vegetables – two kinds of cabbage and some broccoli. My broccoli didn't do very well last year; I hope these plants will do better. I don't much care for it, but it's good for you and maybe homegrown fresh will taste better than shipped-from-out-of-state fresh. That's definitely been the case with our homegrown asparagus.

All my new little plants are in the ground and it's supposed to rain tomorrow. I love it when Mother Nature takes over the watering chores.

Thank you again for your comments and good wishes for my husband. We feel so very blessed.

1 comment:

MarilynB said...

Be sure and plant some dillweed. It is wonderful on broccoli. I steam it, spray a tiny bit of "I can't believe it's not butter" spray and sprinkle on the dill. Great of fresh cooked carrots too.

Day Last

 Mike finished his chemo yesterday. The cumulative effects of four rounds beginning in early July are making him pretty uncomfortable, and t...