Friday, April 29, 2011

Friday Quote Day

Reality is the leading cause of stress
among those in touch with it.
~ Lily Tomlin

There have been times over the past few weeks when I'd much prefer not to be in touch with reality. Now that the immediate crisis has passed (crises? Yeah, that's probably more accurate), I hope I can find a new normal.

The garden (thank you for asking, Marilyn) is still a shambles, untilled and full of weeds. I'm keeping up with the weeds in the areas that have food growing – strawberries, garlic, onions, peas and cabbage – but the rest is a mess. This has been such a wet spring that my neighbor hasn't been able to get it tilled for me. On the one or two days when it could have happened, something else came up. Ah, well, it's still early. And there will be time later in the season when we'll be doing rain dances, I'm sure!

I've planted some herbs – basil, parsley, cilantro, fennel, sage and marjoram. The dill reseeded itself from last year and I'll have tons of it, and the lemon balm and chives are back and growing like mad.

I'm planning to put in about 40 tomato plants this year, mostly Romas for sauce and salsa. I didn't make enough salsa last year, and I gave away half of what I made. Chili and black bean soup taste so much better with salsa added to the mix as they cook.

Other major crops will be corn, edamame, snow peas, Italian green beans, cucumbers and squash. I still have lots o'squash in the freezer, so I'll go easy on zucchini and butternut this year! Oh, and some black-eyed peas, because they were kind of fun to grow and you get a lot of beans from each pod.

Have you seen this?



Live Videos by Ustream

I've spent many a minute destressing by watching these sweet babies. They fascinate me! And the fact that we can peek in on their young lives is just amazing.

Thanks for checking in, I appreciate it and will do everything I can to be a little more present, both here and in the real world.

No comments:

Day Last

 Mike finished his chemo yesterday. The cumulative effects of four rounds beginning in early July are making him pretty uncomfortable, and t...