Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Happy birthday, Bob

If you've checked out my Blogger profile, under "Favorite Music" you'll find two words, repeated three times. And while I listen to a lot of music by a variety of artists (including the GaGa!), my heart belongs to Bob Dylan, who turns 70 today.

Dylan and I share an astrological sign and, had my mother gone into labor a little sooner, he and I might have shared a birthday. I've been to many of his concerts, including one during the "Saved" tour. I remember someone shouting from the back of the auditorium, "Play 'Lay Lady Lay!' " But Bob was only performing his Christian music that night, which disappointed a lot of concert-goers.

Not me, of course. Because if you really, really, really love Dylan's music, you'll listen and enjoy. And probably justify your passion to your friends and acquaintances who make fun of his raspy voice and nonsense lyrics, and who don't recognize the live version of the song they heard on the radio.

I still remember playing the 45 rpm single of "Rainy Day Women #12 & 35" over and over and over again on my little turntable. I was 15 when it was released in 1966, and of course all my friends and I thought it shocking to be told that "everybody must get stoned." We hardly knew what it meant to get tipsy, let alone stoned!

We made up for that lack of knowledge later. Heh.

He still performs live, all over the world, and I hope I see him at least one more time before my life ends. The last couple of times I saw him I thought, "This might be the last time." But I was thinking that more from the perspective of how old he was, not me. As this pirate looks at 60 (tomorrow! It's not too late to send an e-card! Heh.), I realize my days are numbered. There aren't that many concerts left – for either of us.

1 comment:

gingersnapper said...

Happy birthday in advance, chica. I'm betting the DH arranged for Bob to sing at your surprise party. At any rate, hope it's a wonderful day!

Day Last

 Mike finished his chemo yesterday. The cumulative effects of four rounds beginning in early July are making him pretty uncomfortable, and t...