Thursday, July 28, 2011

The transformative powers of canning

But first, KWAW was inspired by my rant yesterday to post one of his own, and I think it deserves to be read by everyone in Congress, as well as the two principals in the dangerous game being played in our nation's capitol. Do go take a look, I'll wait.

Okay, did that inspire you to call your Congressional representatives? Mine are all Democrats, so I would again be preaching to the choir. I called John Boehner's office yesterday and, as might be expected, I was on "ignore" for quite a long time, listening to snippets of patriotic marches. Yes, really, that was his "hold" music. I finally quit waiting, called back and left a message. (Interestingly, the only way you can send him an e-mail is if you live in his district in Ohio. I'm of the opinion, misguided though it may be, that the Speaker of the House ought to be available to all citizens and, I guess, he is, if you want to write a letter.)

West Virginia has only three Congressmen: one Democrat and two Republicans, but one of the Republicans is a member of the Tea Party caucus, so I think he'll get voted out of office after one term. I don't see the Tea Party surviving this debacle. Am I being naive? Go ahead, I can take it.

November of 2012 can't come quickly enough. I honestly don't know how Congress gets anything done when they have to go through an election every two years. The Tea Party is holding everyone hostage, guaranteeing nothing gets done.

Okay, back to what passes for normal around here.

For Leslie, who has never seen edamame growing:
Each pod has two or three beans in it, The leaves of the plant
are efficient at hiding the tangle of bean pods below.
I'm assuming y'all know what tomatoes and peppers look like, so I didn't photograph them during the salsa party I had yesterday. Basically, I roughly chopped six pounds of tomatoes, three yellow and red peppers, eight jalapenos, two onions, a few cloves of garlic (all from the garden) and a handful of cilantro (from Tiny Kroger), and threw it all in a large pan with a can of tomato paste, some cumin, salt and vinegar.

This is what I have now.

I don't use salsa in the traditional chips-and-salsa way, because my husband and I don't eat chips. Or, rather, if they were in the house, we'd eat them, all in one sitting and then we'd groan about it for hours afterward.

So if I don't buy or make chips, why do I make salsa? I think it's an outstanding addition to a big pot of meaty chili with red beans, and we eat a lotta chili during the fall and winter.

C'mon, cold weather. I'm ready for you.

Thanks for all your comments, and keep 'em coming! And don't forget, if you'd like some dill seed so that you, too, can have your own lifetime supply of dill, let me know and I'll put some in the mail. Contact me at shrinkingknitter AT gmail DOT com, or send a message through Facebook if you're in my Friends list.

And if you're not, why aren't you? Heh.

No comments:

Day Last

 Mike finished his chemo yesterday. The cumulative effects of four rounds beginning in early July are making him pretty uncomfortable, and t...