Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Three in a row

I walked three miles Saturday and Sunday mornings when I was out of town, and four miles yesterday morning. Yay, me!

Because Saturday was the one-year anniversary of my dad's death, I spent a lot of time thinking of him and the obesity legacy. And because the retreat happens only once a year, and I don't see any of the attendees during the interim, I thought, "How cool would it be if I came back next year at or near a healthy weight?"

The only way to do that, I decided, is to continue to eat healthful meals and to be consistent with exercise. (Not that it's worked before, but maybe this time will be different. Maybe if I sprinkle myself with glitter before I go for my walk. Yeah, that sounds like a good plan.)

Duh. (Current studies show that exercise isn't that helpful in losing weight. But it's so helpful in other health-related areas that I think it's a good idea to continue moving, especially as I get older. And I was going to link to one or two studies but I find too many that contradict each other. If diet and exercise work for you, keep doing it.)

In order to be consistent with exercise, I will, some days, need to get back on the elliptical. Thanks to audiobooks and podcasts, I don't think that will be as difficult as I pretend it is. Another weapon in my fitness arsenal is the still-broken rowing machine, which would take half an hour or less to repair.

And, of course, there's yoga and weight-training, two disciplines I really need to incorporate into my routine, but I seem to have a mental block about them. I have the necessary equipment, I just don't have the necessary attitude.

So. Something to work on.

Actually, lots to work on.

Knitting! I got quite a bit done on Jujuba over the weekend. I'm nearly at the point where I can split it for the neck shaping. Alas, I won't have it finished for next weekend. I'd hoped to have a new blue sweater to wear for the state Democratic women's convention. There's not much blue in my closet, but the convention theme is Women in Blue: We Believe. Ah, well, it'll be ready for next year.

1 comment:

Anne M. said...

Glitter helps everything - can't hurt to sprinkle some on you when you walk!

Thanks for the reminder about yoga and pilates. Maybe we can do together while in separate states?

Day Last

 Mike finished his chemo yesterday. The cumulative effects of four rounds beginning in early July are making him pretty uncomfortable, and t...