Thursday, December 1, 2011

My new diet plan

My Facebook friends got a sneak peek at my new idea for a diet book. I'm calling it The Doll Clothes Diet. It's been all doll clothes, all the time around here the past few days, as I attempt to create wardrobes for my four-year-old granddaughter's two dolls, Lucy and Little Pink, who is never called Pink, but always Little Pink and sometimes even Little Pink Baby.

I absolutely cannot eat and sew at the same time. I can eat and read, I can certainly eat and watch television, I can even eat and knit (lots of knitters say they can't, but I have managed to figure it out). Sewing is not an especially relaxing activity for me, and I can't stand the mess. My guest room, which is the only place I can find to set up the machine and store the necessary sewing crap tools looks like a fabric store exploded in it right now.

When I sew, I want to get it done as quickly as possible, preferably all in the same day. I usually cut things out one day and then – in this case, months later – I begin assembling the garment(s). Today begins the third day at the machine, it's starting to feel like a sweatshop around here. (Apologies if you actually do work in a sweatshop. I don't really mean to compare my modern, rural guest room and the freedom to come and go as I please with sweatshop working conditions.)

I'm making a list of what I still need to pick up. So far Velcro® is the only thing missing. The beauty of being interested in multiple crafts and being a hoarder of multiple craft supplies is that when you need, say, pre-gathered wide lace for a tiny sunsuit sleeve, you actually have some on hand. And it's even the right color!

Because they're doll clothes, I used quilter's fat quarters for my fabric. Not only are they pre-cut in small amounts, the prints are generally small-scale, which works nicely when the intended targets are 15 and 12 inches tall.

While I have no trouble staying away from food while I'm sewing, I have a lot of trouble remembering to drink water. I'm FOCUSED when I sew. Nothing distracts me. Because I want it DONE. (Aside: I actually measured how much water my go-to cup holds and it's 24 ounces! I thought it was 16 all this time. Meaning three cups is all I need to gulp during the day. Three is better than four when it comes to drinking water, especially when the total quantity is actually greater. I bet that made no sense AT ALL, did it?)

I'll post photos when I'm done, which I hope will be sometime before December 9, when my son and his family will be coming to visit and exchange gifts. Having that part of Christmas done early is good. It gives me the remainder of the month to finish the knitted gifts.

Vibram Five Fingers – gloves for your toes.
In the meantime, here are my new shoes. I wore them all day yesterday, just to get used to them. My husband said they remind him of the Incredible Hulk, not exactly the look I was going for. I hope to get over this plantar fasciitis ONCE AND FOR ALL by strengthening my foot muscles by going almost barefoot. The foot coverings – I hesitate to call them shoes – are difficult to get on, but once they're in place they fit like … gloves! For your feet! I'm very happy with them so far. We'll see how they feel on the elliptical.

I didn't follow the whole water/weights/walking/no snacks plan during November but I managed to not gain (or lose) during the month. So in October I lost six pounds and in November I maintained that loss. I call that a win. And I hope to repeat the process. Soon. I promise. As soon as I get out of the sweatshop.

1 comment:

Mary Gee said...

I don't like sewing enough to stay away from food... too bad. And I can knit and eat too.

My daughter wears the toe shoes and swears by them. I am too afraid to try them.

Day Last

 Mike finished his chemo yesterday. The cumulative effects of four rounds beginning in early July are making him pretty uncomfortable, and t...