Tuesday, January 31, 2012

How's that workin' for ya?

Between January 1 and January 12 I lost two pounds, counting calories but not limiting any foods or food groups.

From January 12 to today, I've lost seven pounds, following the South Beach plan.

You do the math.

I've been going to the gym for a week now. Last week I was doing 2 sets of 10 reps at a reasonably difficult weight level on both upper- and lower-body Nautilus and Cybex machines. Yesterday I bumped it up to 12 reps, and I'm making sure the weight is heavy enough to be challenging. I probably should write down what I'm doing so I can see some progress, but that would mean carrying around a clipboard. Cumbersome!

And I'd probably look really serious about it, too. Heh.

In addition to circuit training, I'm treadmilling at an average speed of 3.5 mph, and a slight incline (3 or 4), for 42 minutes – precisely the amount of time it takes to watch an episode of Glee on the Nook. There are so many TV series available on Netflix that I've never seen, because my husband commandeers the remote every. damned. night. My treadmill time will be entertaining for many months to come.

My right hip joint has been painful for several weeks, but since I've been going to the gym it's only a minor twinge every now and then. I hardly ever notice it. I believe it's because I'm using the machines for hip adductor and abductor, which I always thought toned your inner and outer thighs. Who knew they were useful for muscle and joint pain?

Busy day today. I'm working with a client this afternoon, but before I do that I need to throw together a couple meat loaves and put a roast in the oven. I'm really motivated to continue with South Beach after the progress I've made. I've been buying sliced deli roast beef, but I have a freezer full of grass-fed beef I should probably be using. One of the meat loaves is going to my dog-sitter. I usually make him something sweet; he's going to really be surprised to receive an entrée instead of dessert!

January is done, done, done … your turn to share your progress with your first-of-the-year goals. That's what the comments are for, after all. Sharing. Or leave a link to your blog in the comments, so we can be nosy and read more, more, more.

5 comments:

cathy jones said...

Congratulations! I have also embraced a healthier lifestyle this year, including more exercise and healthier food choices. I am 28 pounds lighter than last year, and about 10 pounds for this month. And do I ever feel better! That's the part that's important!

Debbi said...

That's amazing that you can still lose 10 pounds in a month after already losing 28 pounds … I've been struggling with doing all the right things and not losing a pound for SUCH a long time that I hardly believed the scale this morning. Congratulations to you, keep up the great work. This kind of progress doesn't come easily.

E. Jane said...

Congratulations, Debbi! What fabulous results! You are working hard at this, and it has paid off. I found the difference in the South Beach versus calorie counting to be very interesting. Hmmm....food for thought (no pun intended).

D said...

Sounds like you've had a great January Debbi! Hooray for success!

gingerzingi said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! You must be thrilled, and I'm so happy for you that you've found a workable method. No one deserves success more than you! (well, except for me :)

Day Last

 Mike finished his chemo yesterday. The cumulative effects of four rounds beginning in early July are making him pretty uncomfortable, and t...