Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Making a list and checking it twice

It's times like these when I wish I lived closer to a big city. I'm having a little dinner party tomorrow night and Tiny Kroger won't have everything I need. The biggest missing ingredient will be fresh bean sprouts, and I totally could have grown my own, but I would have needed to start them, oh, probably a couple weeks ago.

Besides, I've never had much luck sprouting beans.

So canned will have to do (they'll be used in hot and sour soup and in spring rolls).

(I never used to be able to make good homemade yogurt, either, but have finally figured out the formula and I NEVER want to eat commercially made yogurt again. So perhaps I have a future with bean sprouts.)

The Chinese restaurant closest to us sucks, so I've learned to make my own Kung Pao Chicken (I healthy up my version with a lighter sauce and I sautée the chicken in a pan swirled with oil, rather than fry it in an inch of oil). We eat it fairly frequently here in the Middle of Nowhere. Since we're having guests, I'll also serve the soup and spring rolls, but I don't usually go to that much trouble for a weeknight meal.

So the list I'm making is, of course, for the grocery, and it's not a long one. That's the beauty of a well-stocked pantry. I'm turning into my mother: She never seemed to run out of anything.

Then again, she never made spring rolls or sweet and sour soup, either.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

I know exactly what you mean about making a list for the store. Usually takes my going to 3 different stores until I can get everything that I am after. Good luck!!

Kathy
http://gigglingtruckerswife.blogspot.com

Diandra said...

All you need to successfully sprout stuff is a sprouting jar. I have got two, and I love them. Especially now that spring is here, I put sprouts on about everything - from salads to dips to soup to sandwiches. With most stuff I have tried so far, it only takes four to five days - which does not help you today, I know. But for future use, try sprouting jars.

Day Last

 Mike finished his chemo yesterday. The cumulative effects of four rounds beginning in early July are making him pretty uncomfortable, and t...