Friday, April 27, 2012

And the rains came

And came, and came again. And with the rain came flood warnings for low-lying areas. I'm anxious to see where the river flowing behind the garden center topped off. Pictures tomorrow …

There have been two "hundred-year" floods in our area since I moved to West Virginia 15 years ago. I believe they happened seven or eight years apart. But that climate change theory, that's a myth and don't you forget it! A hoax, I tell you, a hoax!

What all this recent rain means is that the garden isn't planted yet and the grass is getting pretty tall. Which is fine, really, because I have more time later in the summer for preserving produce. The later I plant, the later the harvest, obviously.

As for the grass, the longer the grass the more of it there is to rake and deposit on the compost pile. I'm tempted to get a bagger attachment for the mower. I could collect a LOT of grass clippings if I bagged them. But I wouldn't get nearly as much exercise as I get raking those clippings.

What I really need to do is get the fence up around the garden. The deer have been tip-toeing through the as-yet-unsprouted pea patch, but it won't be long before there will be something for them to nibble.

Maybe tomorrow … today is a work day. I'm feeling well-rested and, since I was able to get the whole house cleaned yesterday, I don't mind leaving today at all. (I even fixed a really good roast-beef-and-all-the-trimmings dinner!)

Do you think this means I'm figuring out how to manage my time a little better?

No comments:

Day Last

 Mike finished his chemo yesterday. The cumulative effects of four rounds beginning in early July are making him pretty uncomfortable, and t...