Thursday, April 12, 2012

It's official: I'm old

No it's not some milestone birthday or impending hip surgery or even incontinence. I'm old because I came home from work yesterday and collapsed immediately after dinner. I got up again long enough to watch Jeopardy, after which I went back to bed and straight to sleep. Oh, after I took an Aleve.

Now if that doesn't define "old," I don't know what does.

I spent six hours at Groundworks yesterday, bundled in sweatpants and a t-shirt topped by a hooded sweatshirt topped by a fleece jacket. And I got to wear knitted things! My favorite wool hat (a lace pattern by Medrith Glover which I cannot find online for you to buy, but you can contact her here, if you're so inclined) and a pair of fingerless flip-top mittens completed my ensemble.

The only time I unlayered was in one of the greenhouses, which registered a balmy 62 degrees most of the day.

There was much lifting and carrying and toting and moving of plants in and out of warm places. We had to make sure everything vulnerable was protected last night, since we under a freeze warning. AGAIN. There also was a painful wrenching of a bicep or possibly tricep as I tugged on a heavy cart. I know exactly when it happened, and I also know I won't be lifting any dumbbells in the near future. In fact, due to one thing or another, I haven't been to the gym, nor have I walked outside (except one short walk to read the electric meter on the water pump), all week.

I know I will get used to this, eventually (probably about the time the season's over and I get laid off), but for right now I just feel creaky and old and inadequate. Not at work – after work.

Also? When I wake up eight hours after I go to sleep it's only 4 a.m. And I'm WIDE AWAKE, no way can I fall back asleep.

I might as well have a baby if I'm going to be this tired and be awake in the middle of the night.

Ooooh, bad idea. Kidding!

1 comment:

gingerzingi said...

Ha ha! Yeah, you just go right ahead and have that baby. If you do, I will.

I'm glad you've found a job you're so passionate about, even if it makes you go to bed at 7:30 :)

Day Last

 Mike finished his chemo yesterday. The cumulative effects of four rounds beginning in early July are making him pretty uncomfortable, and t...