Skip to main content

Monday? Again? Already?

I need a wife, I really do. Or a time management course. Or a clone. Or Molly Maids.

What I don't need is One. More. Commitment.

I knew I was going to be busy beyond belief this spring, but I truly had no idea how that was going to look. Or feel. Well, I'm here to tell you it looks like hell – laundry gets washed, dried and folded but never seems to make it back into a dresser drawer. My floors desperately need cleaning, it's a good thing no one ever just "drops in" out here in the Middle of Nowhere. The pile of unread magazines is three months high and ready to slip off the undusted end table where they landed when I had to make room on the table to eat dinner.

How does it feel? I hate feeling this disorganized and behind. This weekend would have been a great time to do a little catching up, but I was gone all day Saturday and spent yesterday working in the yard. Not the garden, as I would have preferred. I mowed and mowed and mowed. And then I whacked weeds and watered plants.

And then I died. Heh.

Saturday's trip was one of the few easy-to-get-to places in the whole state. West Virginia is not known for ease of travel. You really can't get there from here, usually. But going to Flatwoods means getting on three major highways, zip, zip, zip. And, therefore, getting home means getting on the same three highways in reverse.

Unless you miss a turn. My 110-mile trip, which should have taken two and a half hours according to Google Maps, ended up being close to 140 miles and taking slightly more than three hours. After I missed the first exit, which would have taken me from Road One to Road Two, I rerouted the GPS and ended up driving on a one-lane hard road (very much like the twisty-turny one I live on) for probably 40 miles.

That took a while.

But it was beautiful. West Virginia really is a lovely state, and West Virginia in the spring is simply lush. Green mountains, waterfalls, wildlife. Tidy homes with amazing gardens. I have garden envy, since mine is still mostly unplanted and full of weeds.

I didn't stop to linger anywhere. My car is held together with liberal bumper stickers, and I wasn't sure of the political climate in these backwoods parts of the state. Better to keep moving and admire the view from 40 mph. But I did stop once to get a picture of New River Gorge from far, far away. It was much more stunning in person.

The next several weekends are full of one thing or another, most of them fun but some of them not so much. I will survive. I will prevail, even. And when all is said and done, I will collapse.


Ah yes, just when you thought it was safe to go back into the calendar - it's Monday again. Sounds like your 40 mile ride would have been a lovely trip instead of a detour, if you had planned it. Beautiful shot of the river.

Popular posts from this blog


Update on the water: the circuit breaker tripped, either due to a power surge when the electricity came back on last night OR when lightning struck in the area. My neighbor's electric fence control box got hit in the same area. He was able to reset the circuit breaker for us and we have WATER! I think I'll go do a load of laundry. Heh.


Well. Well, well, well. Should this morning's scale number be divided between two weeks, or did all of it happen this past week? It's an easy number to divide, and I've been consistent for two weeks, so it should probably be split, doncha think?

That means I lost three pounds for each of the last two weeks. SIX pounds total. Excuse me, I mean
SIX!!!!!! I'm going to do everything I can to stay on track while I'm gone this week. There's little more I can promise. I'm really motivated to keep it up. The dumbbells are packed (and my luggage weighs a ton!), I'm taking a thermos of water in the car and I know where are the rest stops are between here and Nashville. I think I'll walk a bit at each of them, then walk again when I arrive at my destination. Hope to get a total of 80 minutes done by the end of the day. SIX!!!!!!

And the winner is …

Kitten with a Whiplash, who left two comments and it was the second (which had nothing to do with the contest) which won the prize. Congratulations, and since the Kitten was the only commenter who expressed any interest in actually winning it, I'm so glad the Universe took care of it. Heh.

What a weekend! But first, how was yours? I hope you did some fun stuff and got some necessary stuff done, as well. It's all about balance.

Saturday was our fun day (but we had to drive, drive, drive to get there and then drive, drive, drive home again, all in one day, boy was I tired). We went to my husband's granddaughter's first birthday party. In addition to a sweet little doll, suitable for ages 0+ (meaning it has no parts that will come loose, and do you know how difficult it is to find dolls for babies when you live in the Middle of Nowhere?), I made her this:

I haven't sewn anything in a month of Sundays, so was a little apprehensive about finishing it on time, but this p…