Thursday, July 26, 2012

All of our diet dilemmas … SOLVED!

It's not what we eat, nor how much we move. It's not low-fat, no-carb, sugar-free. It's not going to a gym, a yoga studio or a track. It's simply this:
WARNING TO US ALL!!!Shampoo Warning!
I don't know WHY I haven't figured this out before now.
I use shampoo in the shower!
When I wash my hair, the shampoo runs down my whole body, and printed very clearly on the shampoo label is this warning:
"FOR EXTRA BODY AND VOLUME."
No wonder I've been gaining weight!Well, I've gotten rid of that shampoo and will now start showering with Dawn dish soap instead. Its label reads:
"DISSOLVES FAT THAT IS OTHERWISE DIFFICULT TO REMOVE."
Problem solved!
I saw this on Pinterest the other day and had one of those Oprah aha moments. Or maybe it was a haha moment. At any rate, Dawn dish soap is a staple of all the make-your-own-cleaning products blogs, and it's frequently recommended for felting wooly things. And now: A weight-loss aid! (Would love to know how their PR people positioned the product to be so perfect for so many things.)

The first batch of yarn auctions on eBay ended yesterday, so I'll be busy-busy this morning getting packages ready to mail. All but two of them sold. My PayPal account is fattening up, and that's not something I plan to remedy by cleaning it with Dawn. Heh.

So many of you have commented about the drought you're experiencing; I feel kinda bad for posting a photo of my ripe tomatoes. The drought is a lead story in today's New York Times. It's affecting the majority of the United States – even West Virginia is characterized as "abnormally dry." I think the saving grace here has been the late-afternoon pop-up thunderstorms. We don't get one every day, but we've been blessed with a little bit of rain every other day or so for the past couple weeks. It got pretty dry the week after the derecho hit us; the remainder of July has been tolerable. I've only had to water the container plants, not the big garden. But there's no such thing as climate change. Just sayin'.

The NYT story points out that drought conditions will most certainly affect food prices next year, with an increase of four to five percent on staples like milk and meat. This would be a good time to stock the freezer – and then hope the electricity doesn't go out again. If it ain't one thing …

1 comment:

Diandra said...

A few years ago, I had a similar AHA moment when my sister said that in every fat girl there was a thin girl and lots of chocolate: "So, if there was no thin girl inside, the chocolate would be no problem!"

(Her problem, however, was a different one: "THE THIN GIRL IS EATING ALL MY CHOCOLATE!!")

Day Last

 Mike finished his chemo yesterday. The cumulative effects of four rounds beginning in early July are making him pretty uncomfortable, and t...