Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Back to work

I ventured out of my comfort zone (not wanting to be seen in public) last night and went to the AA meeting at the prison. I feel very self-conscious around people, because I can't speak clearly with my upper teeth gone. But practicing in front of the inmates was a good thing to do. They are completely non-judgmental, and several also had denture stories to share. One woman, while in a blackout several years ago, carefully wrapped her dentures in tissue and threw them away. She can't afford to replace them and remains toothless to this day.

So today I'm working at the garden center. We haven't been busy – most people are gardened out by mid-summer – but the anniversary sale ends today, so we might get a few customers. (The anniversary sale was extended and changed to a "Gale Sale" following the storm.) I think I'll just deal with the public in a matter-of-fact manner and not worry about how I look or sound.

The denture diet has been an interesting experience. It's too hard to eat most anything except very smooth foods – applesauce, ice cream, cottage cheese. Everything I eat requires a dish or plate and utensils. There is no snacking on almonds or crackers, no tasting this or picking at that. I've been eating three times a day and having a half-cup of ice cream with a spoonful of peanut butter after dinner. It's not hard to watch portion sizes, either, because I have to eat s-l-o-w-l-y, and I'm really quite satisfied at the end of a serving.

In other words, I'm doing some of the things the weight-loss experts have long recommended:

  • Sit at the table to eat.
  • Use dinnerware and flatware.
  • Eat slowly.
  • Eat only when hungry.
  • Stop before you're full.

Now I could be loading up on mashed potatoes or puddings or other soft-but-not-very-healthful dishes, but I really don't much like those things anyway. If I'm only eating a little bit, I should make the most of it and enjoy what I'm consuming, right?

In the same way I hope to be matter-of-fact when dealing with customers today, I'd like to just routinely continue eating three small meals at a slower pace after I'm back to normal.

Whatever that is.

1 comment:

Diandra said...

As a matter of fact, potatoes can be really healthy - they contain huge loads of vitamin C, for example. (I have started making mashed potatoes with avocado instead of butter and milk, and the BF hasn't noticed yet.)

Day Last

 Mike finished his chemo yesterday. The cumulative effects of four rounds beginning in early July are making him pretty uncomfortable, and t...