Thursday, July 19, 2012

Still playing electronic catch-up

I have finally gotten through all the e-mails which backed up following the electrical outage, and I've managed to keep up with them (and even unsubscribe from some 'meh' newsletters) since the grand purge.

What I haven't caught up on are blogs. There are 270 273 unread blog posts in my Google Reader. The alcoholic in me doesn't want to miss anything (and if you, too, are similarly afflicted, you might be able to relate), but the practical me thinks 'marking all as read' is the thing to do. I'm just not sure I can.

Work yesterday was great: It was hot and I worked hard for four hours, deeply watering every plant at the garden center. I then cleaned up the area where we toss unused pots and trays. There is some potting to do, but I didn't have time to start on the list. I'm working again tomorrow, and hope to get my hands dirty then. Good thing I found the nail brush. Even wearing gardening gloves, your nails are a mess when you repot plants.

(I'm letting my nails grow a wee bit, hoping before summer's end to give myself this manicure.)

Back to the electronic backlog … if I didn't have solitaire on my phone, I'd probably read those posts. A little searching and, lo and behold, there's a Google Reader mobile app. Since the phone is somewhat permanently attached to my person, I installed it and put the icon on the same "page" of my phone as the solitaire icon. Problem solved. (I hope. Film at eleven.)

The bigger problem is my husband's resentment of the somewhat permanent attachment phone. His mobile phone is the simplest unit available. He'd like it better if it didn't have a camera. Mine is a mini-computer in my back pocket, and I use it all the time. He's an absolute Luddite when it comes to electronics. He's never used the computer, and prefers to write longhand and use stamps and envelopes and paper, ohmy! He brings his phone to me when he sees a missed call or (rare) voice mail notification.

He's appreciative of the ability to look up news about current events, but he still uses the encyclopedia. He's often said if he were 10 years younger he'd be a total computer geek, but technology seems to have passed him by, and he doesn't mind a bit.

I just wish he could live and let live about this. I must remember to point out, next time he's being cranky about my electronic addiction, that I don't mind at all that he reads books made out of paper, printed with ink. Why should he mind that I read mine on a Nook? Heh.

No comments:

Day Last

 Mike finished his chemo yesterday. The cumulative effects of four rounds beginning in early July are making him pretty uncomfortable, and t...