Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Still powerless

My experience in AA for the past 21 years has probably saved my sanity this week. I take no credit, that's for sure.

As I write this, we've been without water or electricity for 108 hours - 4.5 days. At first, fueling up the car was an issue, but the town nearest to ours (Hinton, 12 miles away) got power back Monday afternoon, and the gas stations are back in business. Big business!

Hinton has city water and my MIL's home is there (she was safe with friends in another, unaffected town), so we've been showering at her house and hauling water in buckets so we can flush our toilets. Once a day. TMI? Sorry. Heh.

My freezer and refrigerator are completely empty - and spotless - and I've given up trying to keep food cold in coolers. I salvaged a few things that are in my husband's mother's fridge - cheese and butter - and we have stocked up on peanut butter, crackers, bread and canned food you can eat without heating. Beanie Weenies, anyone?

I'll let you know if it's safe to refreeze pesto. It was easier for me to toss grass-fed T-bone streaks than my homemade pesto.

I've heard we might have power by Friday night, but the power company website says probably Sunday night. Temperatures for Saturday and Sunday are supposed to be in the low to mid-90s.

I will be leaving tomorrow for a long-planned visit with my son and his family. My daughter and her children will be there, too, and my husband is insisting I go. He doesn't want to close up the house, and he and the dog can always go to his mother's to cool off. I'm coming back Saturday.

We are cutting smaller limbs off the downed pines and hauling them to our pond to burn later. A friend with a chainsaw has offered to help cut up the trunks. We have lots of support, and much to be grateful for.

Like grills. And smartphones. And car chargers.

Just saying.

Sent from my U.S. Cellular® Android-powered device

2 comments:

Diandra said...

Wow, sounds like quite the adventure! I guess you wouldn't mind trading it in for a bit of boredom, right?

Anna said...

I'm so sorry! We only lost juice for 9 hours and that was plenty.

Day Last

 Mike finished his chemo yesterday. The cumulative effects of four rounds beginning in early July are making him pretty uncomfortable, and t...