Saturday, September 1, 2012

Here we go again …

I keep signing up for NaBloPoMo (even though I don't follow the prompts) and for FatMumSlim's Photo a Day (where I absolutely DO follow the prompts) and you know what? If I could find a place that inspired me to exercise, I bet I'd be doing that regularly, as well.

Well, whaddyaknow. I HAVE!

Training begins Monday, and I'm ready, ready, ready to (pause) rock and roll. Oh, and run.

Although I must confess that I hope the first day doesn't really include much running because it's been way too long since I've picked up the pace. Also my husband and I will not be doing this together, because he's dead set against my running. So I'll have to do it in secret.

If Rosie O'Donnell hadn't had that heart attack I think he'd be cautiously supportive of my return to running. (Oh, okay, I'll be jogging, not running.) Since she did, he's memorized the signs of women's heart attacks and gently pointed out that waist circumference (who, me?!?) is a major indicator and he went out and bought a bottle of regular-strength uncoated Bayer aspiring and MADE SURE I KNEW WHERE HE PUT IT.

I will be eating my words along with that aspirin if I end up having a heart attack.

I'm not ungrateful for his concern. Really, I'm not. I thought I did a pretty good job of preventing a heart attack last week by not watching the Republican convention, but did he applaud me for that? No, he did not.

I've been drinking green smoothies (mmmmm, don't knock it 'til you've tried it) three or four mornings a week. Although drinking my breakfast has more to do with having way too much homemade yogurt on hand than it does with wearing dentures.

HONEST!

(Oh, okay, it's easier to drink than it is to eat. I realize dentures will never feel like the real deal, but I just can't imagine ever being able to eat popcorn or steak again. Although the dentist promised I would.)

I worked four mornings this week and shopped all day yesterday. (Shopping for me means lugging heavy things around Sam's Club for a couple of hours. Not exactly exercise, but not sitting on my ass, either.) I hope to get a walk in this morning before the heavy rains move in. Then I will be sitting on my ass, knitting and watching FOOTBALL. Yay!

Expect the blog to swing back to knitting and running and away from reaping (there wasn't much of that this summer) and eating (not much of that either, thanks to the denture adventure) for the next few weeks. I'm still slogging away on the blue sweater I started about 10 years ago. (HEH.) Would love to have it finished to wear during election season. It's the perfect shade of Obama blue.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Running is likely to decrease your risk of heart attack in the long run, though there is, admittedly, a short-term increase during and after. It makes your heart stronger in the long run.

It is sweet that he doesn't want to live without you. Why not get a checkup just to make you both feel safer?

Debbi said...

A cardiac check-up would cost many bucks. My health insurance policy doesn't cover office visits, diagnostics, x-rays or labwork - I get one well-woman visit per year, plus a mammogram. It's not health insurance, it's wealth insurance (not that we're wealthy, but at least we won't lose the house if one of us gets sick). I'm hoping for a more comprehensive plan when ACA kicks in in 2014. And yes, it IS sweet that he doesn't want to live without me. He asked me to make a list of all the bills I pay online and how to reach them in case something happens to me. DAMN ROSIE for having a heart attack! (Kidding, I'm so glad she's all right!)

denise said...

My first thought was the same as Jen's - that running is more likely to prevent than cause a heart attack. And I agree that it's very sweet that he's so concerned.

Good luck with your training. I'll look forward to hearing all about it and hopefully being inspired to get off my big, fat A$$ and do something myself!

Day Last

 Mike finished his chemo yesterday. The cumulative effects of four rounds beginning in early July are making him pretty uncomfortable, and t...