Wednesday, October 31, 2012

And … she's outta here

Sandy came, hung out with us for a bit and went on her way. It was, um, disconcerting to have snow so early in the year, but at least we don't have the devastation and destruction she dropped on other parts of the northeast. West Virginia is served by two different power companies. The one who takes care of our electrical needs still has nearly 100,000 customers to get back up and running.

New Jersey. New York. Oh, my, how hard it must be to try to put all that back together. My heart hurts for you.

Since yesterday was a snow day here, I spent it doing nothing I normally would do. I went back to bed after having been up for a couple of hours and slept until 10:30 a.m. (Partly because I was having dizzy spells; it just seemed safer to remain in a prone position.) I was fine when I woke up again, so I got to work on more party favors. (I didn't even make dinner. We snacked.)

One of the projects I finished yesterday –
I got the idea at a football party, where
we all had "bad call bricks"  – scrubbie
sponges from the Dollar Store – to throw
when a referee blew a call. 
I'm nearly done with the goodie bags. I quit last night at 7:30, and have just two projects remaining. But since I'm leaving today and won't be back until Saturday, they will have to wait. My printer has already thanked me.

It occurred to me as I was waking up this morning that I might get some additional swag and/or party decorations at one of the many Obama campaign offices there must be throughout the state. You swing states have all the fun. We here in southern West Virginia haven't gotten so much as a bumper sticker from the national campaign. I hear there's an office in the northern panhandle, but that's more like DC than WV.

So, North Carolina, look out. I have plenty of room to haul buttons and stickers and signs, oh my. And I'm headed your way.

Tomorrow is the first day of BlogHer's NaBloPoMo. An exercise to get you blogging every day, it has worked quite well for me. Since last November 1, I've posted 587 entries to this blog. Some have been just photos, but even on most photo days I've blathered on about something in a separate post.

I'm more excited that I've only missed two days of taking a photo every day since the first of the year. With two months to go, I think this will be my first year of almost-daily participation. Every other year I've tried I ended up quitting sometime in the spring. I must give credit to a new smartphone, FatMumSlim (who provides the prompts I've been using) and Instagram. I also use another photo app called Pixlr-o-matic for additional filters and effects.

My husband spontaneously told me yesterday how happy he was that we were married. He said, "Your glass is always half full. Mine is often two-thirds empty. You're so good for me." Well I gotta tell you that took me by surprise. But he's right: My glass is half-full, nearly always, and I think it's because I really know how to rock a snow day.

And now? She's outta here.

2 comments:

Waffle-Wednesday said...

Love that your glass is always half full. That's how I am too. I love keeping up with your blog!

D said...

What a sweet comment from your husband :) And kudos for the 500+ blog posts this year. I don't comment often, but I check in almost every day :)

Day Last

 Mike finished his chemo yesterday. The cumulative effects of four rounds beginning in early July are making him pretty uncomfortable, and t...