Monday, October 22, 2012

Two questions

If you are voting Republican, why are you doing so?

If you are a WOMAN and voting Republican, why are you doing so?

My basic premise, of course, is that women, especially, should think twice before choosing Romney/Ryan, and that men who love/like/admire/know women should want to make the best choice for women.

I'm not asking these questions to be snarky or mean-spirited. I'm not trying to be holier-than-thou or even to imply that Republicans don't care about women. I'm sure there are some who do. It's unfortunate that so few of them have taken a stand, allowing the many to drown out the voices of the few.

I really want to know why someone voting Republican in this critical election thinks we'll be better off with a – I can barely type this – President Romney. (Excuse me while I go wash up.)

Okay, that was a little snarky. But it's my blog and I'll write what I want to.

I can't trust someone who waffles in his convictions, saying one thing to one group at one time and completely changing his position to cater to another group at another time. THIS IS WHAT CANDIDATE ROMNEY HAS DONE. The evidence is everywhere. Pick an issue and he's been on both all sides of it.

President Obama hasn't done everything I wanted him to do. He's compromised too often, and he's worked too hard for bipartisan support which, as Mitch McConnell famously declared in 2010, he was never going to get. I wouldn't have President Obama's job for anything in the world, and I don't see why anyone would want it. (Fox News has been waging the one-term war since 2008.)

That said, President Obama seems to me to be genuine, authentic. He is who he is. (He couldn't even fake being alert and ready to rumble in the Denver debate!) I trust his vision. He married an amazing woman and is raising strong and amazing daughters. He's never promised the sun, moon and stars, as some had hoped he would.

He serves his country. He doesn't want to run it, and he knows that's not his job. His job is to work for me and for people like me.

Whether I'm the 47% or the 99%, I'm 100% in his corner.

In reply to Anna: Our war on coal here is most definitely anti-Obama. The signs read: Stop the war on COAL. FIRE OBAMA. Exports and domestic demand are down due to increased production in China and cleaner/cheaper natural gas extraction here in the U.S. There remain too many in our neck of the woods (yours and mine) who have drunk the Kool-Aid. President Obama is not their enemy. Apparently facts don't matter in regard to this issue. Or in many others, for that matter.

6 comments:

Susanna said...

I know a lot of women who are voting for Romney. From what I can discern, it's mostly because "Republicans are for less government." Whether or not that is actually true, whether or not those policies are actually good for them or anyone else, this is what a lot of the Republican women I know believe.

The other reason some women I know are voting for Romney is that they are anti-abortion and anti-gay rights. They see nothing wrong with making abortion illegal and contraception extremely restricted.

Debbi said...

Regarding those who are against abortion and in favor of limited contraception – doesn't it just MAKE SENSE that better access to contraception REDUCES the number of abortions?!? Never mind that abortions are currently legal and safe and if you don't want one, don't have one. But common sense seems to be off the table in the current political climate. "Less government" except when it comes to women's health isn't exactly less government.

Debbi said...

Thanks for commenting, Susanna. I just hope women see the light before Election Day. I'd hate for my generation's hard work to be undone.

MadAnne said...

I have an acquaintance who is voting for Romney. Her oldest son is gay. This confounds me. They seem to be on good terms. He was always her favorite child. Why would she align herself with a party that clearly has nothing but disdain for her son?

Diandra said...

Watching from the sidelines across the Atlantic, I cannot understand why anyone would want to vote Republican. As long as I have been interested in politics, I haven't seen a single Republican candidate I would have trusted with a country.

(To me it seems like every Republican program is all about, "Vote us or the communists win! They are going to take away your rights! They are anti-Christian! No!!!" - so basically you would not vote for them, but against the others. Stupid, stupid, stupid.)

Unknown said...

I will say that I don't like Romney one bit. He doesn't impress me at all. I think President Obama has done the best he could do considering the mess this country was in when he took office. I have watched the debates and seen both in action and the more I see of Romney the more I don't trust him as far as I can throw him.

Kathy
http://gigglingtruckerswife.blogspot.com

Day Last

 Mike finished his chemo yesterday. The cumulative effects of four rounds beginning in early July are making him pretty uncomfortable, and t...