Saturday, November 24, 2012

Brilliant self-promotion

I like cruising my Facebook page with my first cup of coffee, 'cause I'm nosy like that. Imagine my surprise when I got a notice that my friend Marla had tagged me. She's a fabulously talented painter and was promoting herself AND dozens of her creative friends in a Facebook post.

Naturally I returned the favor.

The images I saw and stories I read from Black Friday (and Grey Thursday) were horrifying. The video of Wal-Mart shoppers shoving, pushing and screaming to get a smartphone was so awful I'm not even going to link to it. In San Antonio, someone pulled a gun on a man who was trying to cut into the front of the line. (Oh, and he wasn't charged because he had a concealed-carry permit.)

WTF?!?!?

How much nicer it is to give a shout out to online and local friends and businesses who offer quality products and services. And Facebook makes it really easy to do so.

Most of the time when you being typing a name, that name will pop up and you can just click on it to create a link. To link to a business page that you've liked (I just found this out), type an "@" symbol and the first few letters of the business and the pop-up box will appear.

If you're not yet my Facebook friend, you can click on the link over there on the right and send a request. I'd love to add you. And when I do, you can then give yourself and your friends a shout out for Small Business Saturday. C'mon ... spread the love ... you know you'd rather do that than go to Wal-Mart.

Since I first posted a couple hours ago, I've put my money where my mouth is and ordered this from Ray at knitivity.com:


BRS2012 #407 – Phydlbitz Sock - $22.50  $20.00  SOLD – (d.m.)
and Marla's calendar. Be sure to share your local scores in the comments. Or on Facebook. Have a great Saturday!

2 comments:

Vickie said...

Is this the same Marla that used to google her own name and have crazy blog post titles with the links she found?

I saw one other blog who was cooking to Alice's Restaurant on Thursday. How funny is that?

Debbi said...

It IS the same Marla! And I have a new Facebook friend because a mutual friend commented there that she had two friends who like Ohio State and Alice's Restaurant. Unfortunately, he doesn't knit.

Day Last

 Mike finished his chemo yesterday. The cumulative effects of four rounds beginning in early July are making him pretty uncomfortable, and t...