Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Search-for-a-pattern result

Last night I'd already decided to continue working on a mindless-knitting garter-stitch scarf, when I was messaged by someone suggesting that a mutual someone might like one of those big-bow headbands to accessorize her new short haircut.

Off I went searching for bow headband knitting patterns, which are, um, abundant out there on the internets. (Ravelry is an amazing resource.) I picked this one. It's knit flat and seamed, and is shaped with short rows. I decided to knit the pattern as written the first time. Subsequent items will be knit in the round, but I thought I needed to see how the short-rowing worked first.

In less than two hours I was two rows away from casting off the headband part. However, I think it's not going to be big enough around to go over the second someone's new haircut. So here's my plan to fix it.

When I cast off the last stitch, I'm going to knit across the short horizontal edge and then knit an inch or so of ribbing. I will then sew the two edges together. The bow is knit separately and sewn on over the narrowest part of the headband, so my adaptation won't even show.

I hope it works. Heh. Film at eleven.

The other project I started yesterday isn't knitting, running, reaping OR eating. I'm making books.

Last time I visited my younger granddaughter she was working on a storybook. Each page had a blank box at the top where she could add stickers. Below the box were a few lines on which she could write a story about the sticker picture she'd created.

I've made journals before, and with the single adaptation of making these larger, I think a handful of them will make a fine Christmas present for a little one just learning to write. I made the inside pages yesterday, printing some of them on lavender paper and some on white:


And if you're so inclined, you can snag the .pdf for the pages here. I then printed a title/author page for each book on the opposite side of one of the story pages (the title is on the right side and a story page is on the left). Today I'll get started on the real work.

So it's a crafty Christmas here in the Middle of Nowhere, and that's just the way I like it. Are you making any gifts this year? Or cards? Feel free to share links in the comments. I'd love to see what you're working on playing with!

1 comment:

wendy said...

How ironic that you would be making a book while I am printing some sort of auto service manual and turning it into a book with silly titles like "The Clutch is the Spinning Thing and other 21st Century Automotive Marvels".

I'm on the less-crafty side though.

Day Last

 Mike finished his chemo yesterday. The cumulative effects of four rounds beginning in early July are making him pretty uncomfortable, and t...