Monday, December 10, 2012

A good Democrat day

A couple days ago I overheard my husband tell a friend that "Debbi was going to spend Sunday being a good Democrat."

And I did. I even wore blue. Heh. And I did not wear anything Christmas-y, which definitely put me in the minority at the meeting I attended yesterday afternoon.

It was a three(plus)-hour drive north in the fog and rain and, of course, an equally long drive home. In the fog and rain. The drive home actually took longer because it was oh-dark-thirty when I left the meeting and I tend to drive a little more slowly in the fog and rain and DARK.

I'm so old. And my grandchildren would just love it that I drive even more slowly than I already do.

As the chairperson of the Speakers Bureau for the West Virginia Federation of Democratic Women, I was on the agenda to encourage the group to sign up for a Facebook account and "like" our new page. One of the ongoing themes for Democratic women's groups is encouraging younger women to become involved. (At 61, I was the third- or fourth-youngest woman in the room yesterday.)

If you want younger women, you have to be where they are. And they certainly are on Facebook.

So I did that and we actually had quite a good discussion about using Facebook to promote activities and generate interest and support for issues. Mission accomplished.

What I didn't know, and it didn't even occur to me, is that this also was a Christmas party. Some members brought gifts. For ALL OF US. I came home with a bag stuffed with presents. I wish I'd thought ahead and made Hillary 2016 badges for everyone. That would have been a very appreciated holiday remembrance.

Ah, well, I have four more years for that one.

7 comments:

Liesl Garner said...

Fabulous! I love your energy and commitment to the cause of getting younger people involved in politics. It's an uphill battle, I think, but definitely worth all the effort.

denise said...

I'm so old that just reading about driving 6+ hours in one day makes me want to go lay down...in fact, it just started to rain here a few minutes ago, and I just might take advantage of the dreariness to do just that! Heh (as my friend Debbi would say!)

Good luck with engaging the young folks in politics. You would definitely need to target their cell phones, iPods and computers, as that's where they seem to spend most of their time!

MadAnne said...

My local Democratic women's club has encouraged me to come to meetings because they need young people. I'm 61.

Debbi said...

That's so funny. Our district director thought I would be a good replacement for her when she steps down. Because I'm so young.

Unknown said...

I think it is wonderful that you are making an effort to get young folks involved in the democratic process and politics in general. They are the future.

Kathy
http://gigglingtruckerswife.blogspot.com

Winnie said...

Sounds like you had a great "Democrat" Sunday. Awesome. Do you think Hillary will run in 2016? I know they want her to run for Mayor in NYC, but I don't see that happening at all.

Debbi said...

I hadn't heard that anyone in NYC was trying to draft her for mayor ... I agree, I don't see that happening. Not sure if I *think* she'll make a run in 2016, but I hope she does. I think she's unbeatable.

Day Last

 Mike finished his chemo yesterday. The cumulative effects of four rounds beginning in early July are making him pretty uncomfortable, and t...