Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Neomonde

Neomonde happens to be the name of my favorite eatery in the Triangle area of North Carolina. I've visited the Morrisville location once, but am more familiar with the restaurant/market near Meredith College in Raleigh. I love Middle Eastern food, and I also love to prepare Middle Eastern food. Shopping there is a treat.

But I'm not here today to give a restaurant review. (However, if you live in the Triangle, I certainly do enthusiastically recommend a visit!) The word "neomonde" means "new world," and I think it's time for me, myself and I (and you, too, if you'd like to join me) to create a new world here in the Middle of Nowhere.

A dark and gloomy morning.
It's a dark-and-gloomy day, this day after Christmas. I'm not one who typically hits the stores for post-holiday bargains, so I'm not disappointed that the predicted freezing rain/sleet/snow will keep me home today. (The lovely silver and white paper I bought on sale last year remains protected in cellophane, in favor of this year's simple brown paper tied with red or green kitchen twine.) Being forced by Mother Nature to remain indoors is encouraging me to think about what I'd like my new world to look like.

First, last and always, it includes a new, healthy, fit me. Every end-of-the-year I (and, maybe, you?) vow that this will be the year to finally make it to that elusive goal, whatever it is. I know some of you have done it, and I'm envious beyond belief.

Not, apparently, envious enough to actually Do What I Need To Do To Get There As Well.

I alluded to what I need a few days ago. And, if I searched diligently, a few weeks, months and years ago. I simply must incorporate some kind of strength training into my routine. Being an all-or-nothing type, I automatically think this means I need to lift weights every day. And every time I jump in with that kind of brainless enthusiasm, I quit doing it. Sooner rather than later.

So here's what I'm thinking, as far as activity goes. What if I did a yoga session twice a week; lifted, lunged and squatted twice a week, and walked or used the elliptical as often as six times a week? It sounds unrealistic as I sit here typing and watching the rain lashing about outside. So far I've been the kind of mature athlete who has managed one physical activity daily. And sometimes that activity has been cleaning the house.

But this is a NEW WORLD. One in which my mind matters less than my commitment. My mind can fuck up my commitment in a New-York minute. It will take some planning, and some flexibility, and some willingness, and some perseverance. It will take a new attitude. It will take patience.

It will take working out AND walking on the same day four times a week. Ack!

I have time for that. I have more time than just about any other resource available to me. What I need is a matter-of-fact attitude. I know what I need to do and I need to Just. Do. It. No internal arguments, no bargaining, no excuses. I need to be a grown-up about this, instead of this self-indulgent old lady who struggles to tie her shoes.

Of course, I have expectations. I would expect that this type of consistent activity, coupled with a cleaned-up diet (I'll save that for tomorrow) would result in weight loss. Anyone would, right? My history, however, has shown that increased activity and sensible eating don't necessarily equal pounds lost. Therefore, since this is a NEW WORLD, I will banish those expectations, and embrace a healthy lifestyle for the sake of being healthy.

Oh, who am I kidding? Yes, I want to feel strong and fit, but I also want to look good and wear a smaller size. (Okay, I want to wear four sizes smaller.) No sense in saying otherwise. I have a lot more thinking to do about this – how will I measure progress, for instance. Will I be tracking and journaling?

Will I turn the blog back into a weight-loss effort? Not likely, although I predict a bit more emphasis on food-and-exercise reporting. And when does this NEW WORLD begin? I'm thinking … today.

8 comments:

MadAnne said...

Well, not today, there is all of this yummy left over food and the weather is terrible. In the last few months I've come to realize this problem of mine is about more than lack of will power. I am going to attempt to sort this out.

Do you have indoor cardio for days like this?

Debbi said...

I have an elliptical, in the upstairs office over our garage, and it has the arm thingies, so it's a full-body workout. I did 30 minutes before lunch and I brought the dumbbells into the house from the garage. Have I lifted the dumbbells? I have not. YET! =)

denise said...

I sort of started the process a few months ago and on a whim I rejoined WW. I was down 25+ lbs when I arrived at my mother's house and had fairly successfully been avoiding sugary stuff, with only an occasional fall off the wagon. Of course I said WAS because any time at my mom's house is like walking through a land field of bad eating choices, and the holiday makes it even worse.

So, although I'm making at least a half-hearted attempt to "be good" while here, I won't be making my real rededication to healthy eating until I return home January 5 (God willing and the creek don't rise, as they say in these parts).

Exercise...not much. I am scheduled for a knee replacement on January 22. Even lifting extra weights can be a challenge with my knee, but of course that's mostly a convenient excuse I like to use. Went for a 40 minute walk with one of my nephew's and their springer spaniel after the HUGE Christmas lunch yesterday. Just couldn't sit here after that. Knee was not happy, but I felt better generally.

But my thoughts and virtual support are with you in your efforts in the "New Year, New You" battle! Best of luck with it.

Debbi said...

Oh, how I wish rejoining WW would result in a 25-pound loss for me. That's great, and I know you'll do what it takes to get that back off and more. I didn't know you were having knee surgery next month. Keep me posted about that. My right hip hurts more and more and more, and that's part of why I'm rededicating myself and my blog to losing some of this weight. But mostly it's about looking cute. Heh.

MadAnne said...

For some reason WW makes me angry. I have completely given up hiking since moving back to WV. I Do ride my bike on the trail but not very fast, actually slow. I used to think putting dumbbells in my path would remind me to use them, but I've found it is easy to walk around them, after a while I don't even notice them.

Sharon said...

I believe lifting twice a week is PLENTY and is better than trying to work out hard every day (your body needs to rest and build muscle in between lifting sessions). I do better personally if I keep that gym stuff to twice a week and go for 30 min walks with the pooches every day (they demand it). Have you tried doing intervals on the elliptical? I've read that they are more effective (and less boring!) than slogging away at the same pace for longer. I warm up for a min or two, go all out for 30 seconds, then slow down for a minute or so, and repeat for no more than 10 minutes total with a couple extra minutes of cool down.

Debbi said...

I've not done elliptical intervals, I usually begin at zero resistance, work up to 3 or 4, and end again at zero. I try to read or watch something on television while I'm on the elliptical - anything to distract me from actually WORKING OUT. I've added lots of books to the Nook and I haven't watched anything on Netflix in a while, so I'm looking at a winter that will fly by, with me getting fitter and, possibly, smarter without even thinking about it. If not smarter, at least entertained. Heh.

Vickie said...

I think it is easier to follow along if someone else dreams up the workout. There are plenty on line. Tracy Anderson is one of my favorites and she uses light weights. There are also a lot of DVD's. I know you are in the middle of no where, but your library may have some. I do the type of workout (I think you have in mind) three times a week - tues, thur, sat mornings. On tues and thur I do Pilates right after my circuit (highly effective use of my time because muscles are already fatigued). My husband and I both watch Netflix when on elliptical - I agree very good distraction.

Bought my college girl a knitting loom. She is loving it. Has learned several different weave/knitting/stitch patterns. She completed a scarf for herself already. The frame helps keep stitch count, shape, tension easily. She is very pleased.

Day Last

 Mike finished his chemo yesterday. The cumulative effects of four rounds beginning in early July are making him pretty uncomfortable, and t...