Monday, December 31, 2012

Number 629, your order is ready

Today marks the end of 2012, and this is my 629th post for the year. You have NaBloPoMo to thank for the gift of one or more Knit. Run. Reap. Eat. posts nearly every freaking day of the year. Care to join me in 2013?

You have one day to think about it. Heh.

This week has gone very well. I've been under my calorie budget and I've met my activity goals every day. LoseIt's weeks begin on Monday (I wish the app would let you choose your own first day of the week, but oh, well. It's free! And if I'm missing this feature, I hope someone will let me know), so it's a fresh start in oh so many ways.

Monday is my scheduled no-exercise and eat-what-you-want day. Although today is going to be fairly temperate and I might go for a walk outside just because.

When I explained my plan to my husband (and believe me, I thought long and hard about explaining it to him), he hesitated for  m a y b e  a nanosecond before he said, "Well, do you mind if I have something to say about that?" Yes, as a matter of fact, I did mind, but that didn't stop him. When I further explained that "eating whatever I want" doesn't mean eating an entire pecan pie (which he's been known to do), but simply means adding an extra 200 to 400 calories one day a week, he was fine with that.

NOT THAT IT MATTERS!

(My body does not respond to weight-loss cues as his does. It is as baffling to him as it is to me that eating reasonable portions of healthful food and doing some kind of daily activity doesn't result in a slimmer me. That we both still have hope is, really, pretty amazing.)

So what's the eating plan for New Years Eve/Day? Tonight I'll honor my northern roots and make barbecued ribs, sauerkraut, mashed potatoes and carrot coins. (That should take care of the additional calorie prescription, don't you think? Heh.) Tomorrow we'll enjoy the southern tradition of Hoppin' John and greens. Which will probably be a bag of frozen spinach, since I don't think I'm going to make it to the market for kale or collards or turnip greens. (Click on the Mmmm. Mmmm. Good. tab at the top of the blog for links to a couple of good Hoppin' John recipes.)

May good luck follow me – and you – throughout the coming year. Thanks for sticking with me this year. And thanks in advance for being my cheerleaders in 2013. I've a feeling I'm going to need you.

I love Real Simple's daily thoughts.

Day Last

 Mike finished his chemo yesterday. The cumulative effects of four rounds beginning in early July are making him pretty uncomfortable, and t...