Saturday, January 26, 2013

There's got to be a morning after (how's THAT for drama?)

The Ledge © IFC Films
Wow. Thanks for talking me down from the ledge, y'all. I was madly, truly, deeply discouraged yesterday, I don't think that was any big secret. I spent the day alternately moping and cursing (but not overeating!). I didn't leave the house (and if you're a regular around here, you know I have to leave the house to work out), but I'm okay with an extra rest day this week.

Not that I deserved it or anything.

And I had no trouble eating all my calories yesterday. In fact, I had 13 to spare! My name is Debbi, and I'm an emotional eater.

Okay, enough of that. Well, maybe not. Here's what I learned:
WEIGHT LOSS MATTERS
Despite my lofty words about hitting the daily calorie target and meeting my exercise goals, it appears I've been holding my breath since Christmas, waiting for this first weigh-in, hoping for success. And, yes, it's true that two pounds is better than no pounds, but man was I ever devastated.

In the whole scheme of things, though, it's pretty silly for me to get all worked up about it, isn't it? Climate change and filibuster rules and gun deaths: THOSE are problems.

I simply need to keep on keepin' on.

Again. Or always. Because …

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I think in some ways it helps that I weigh in 2-3 times a week, so I don't have huge expectations for each weigh-in. Plus, I see that fluctuations aren't a big deal. YMMV.

I do think that if you have Lose It programmed for 1 pound/week, you should see what happens if you hit that target instead of under shooting so drastically. Maybe it will work out better.

Unknown said...

P.S. Of course weight loss matters. You'd have to be a robot for it not to. I wonder if you happened to catch yourself on an up day. But if you keep up these healthy habits, it will show up on the scale. It is hard, though. I'm right there in the soup with you. I want all of this fat gone NOW!

Winnie said...

Keep plugging away! That quote is a GREAT one!

Anonymous said...

I really know how you feel!

I'm an emotional eater myself and I'm also trying to lose weight...

But my problem isn't the calorie counting, it's the eating if I'm tired/frustrated/etc.

Have you found anything to help this?
It'd be interesting to know what helps you :)

Debbi said...

I won't say I'm perfect at restricting food when it's clearly not appropriate - i.e., when I'm tired/frustrated/etc. But with age comes wisdom, and I've become much more matter-of-fact about food as I've gotten older. It's not a hard-and-fast rule, but I mostly don't eat unless it's time for a meal. If I feel hungry between meals, I have one or two pieces of dark chocolate (those little Bliss or Dove individually wrapped treats), and I let them melt in my mouth for a long time. If I feel angry or frustrated, I go for a walk. If I feel tired, I rest. In other words, I try to choose an appropriate response to emotional situations, rather than just diving into the pantry. Good luck and let me know how you're doing!

Day Last

 Mike finished his chemo yesterday. The cumulative effects of four rounds beginning in early July are making him pretty uncomfortable, and t...