Tuesday, January 29, 2013

In the interest of driveability ...

I am unable to find the original use for this image 
 If it's yours, please let me know for proper credit! 
I managed to avoid another deer strike yesterday on my way to town. I thought it best not to wreck our remaining mode of transportation. There were three of them this time and they were CRAZY! First they darted onto the road, then back onto the grassy slope from whence they came, then they did some weird deer dance before they retreated.

I watched the dance from the rear-view mirror, having safely made it past them.

The state of West Virginia increased the hunting limit last deer season, but they could certainly raise the antlerless limit again, if the number of deer still roaming the landscape is any indication.

(And you thought I was one of those "ban all the guns" types. Not at all … BUT! You don't need a war machine to kill a deer. Do you? DO YOU?)

You are more likely to hit a deer with a vehicle in West Virginia – your chances are 1 in 40 – than in any other of these United States. Best place to avoid them? Hawaii. Deer migrate from October through December, increasing the chance of a collision, but I'm beginning to wonder if climate change might be extending the migration period. I'm sure a lot more freezers could be filled if the season were extended to January.

Remember that recent shell casing photo I posted? I didn't go into detail about what was beside it, but since it fits with today's topic, well, it was … get ready … a dead doe. My husband, who was walking with me that day, figured the animal had been injured and someone had put it out of it misery. I mentioned it to my dentist yesterday, who is an avid sportsman (that's a polite way of saying he likes to shoot deer). The casing was stamped '.45 AUTO,' which Dr. Denture said were used ONLY by the game warden.

(I have my doubts about that, but I'm no sportsman. At any rate, the good doctor thought our mercy-killing theory was probably correct. He also probably thought, "What a waste of good venison!")

We'll find out today whether my car will be repaired or declared a total loss. I'm hoping for repair. Diandra commented yesterday that the deer fur stuck to the hood would be a good thing for insurance purposes in Germany. Turns out that's true here in West Virginia, as well.

Because of the "nature of the accident," we don't have to pay a deductible. If they fix it, our only cost is wear and tear on our collective psyches. That would be great, and that's what I'm hoping for. I'd hate to lose all my cool Obama bumper stickers. If the insurance adjustor says it's totaled, well, a 2007 Ford Escape with 120,000 miles doesn't have much book value.

Just sayin'.

3 comments:

Vickie said...

I had no idea about the fur verification, very interesting. If you are buying a new one anyway, whatever the value, you are that much ahead and it is done (I am very much about being done).

Unknown said...

It's good to know the odds of hitting a deer in West Virginia. We are thinking of driving through this spring. Thanks for the info, Debbi! Hope you get good news.

Fyi, if you are ever driving in Newfoundland, watch out for MOOSE. The island province is OVERRUN with them. Sadly, many humans and moose have lost their lives due to auto-moose contacts.

denise said...

My cousin lives in Alaska and there you can put your name on a list for moose road kill. She was a single mother of 4, and I seem to recall that there were income limits etc to be sure it went to families who needed it. Not sure how they determined what meat was usable etc. or if the program still exists, but it was an interesting concept. Maybe the Alaskan cold weather made it more practical than in the lower 48.

Day Last

 Mike finished his chemo yesterday. The cumulative effects of four rounds beginning in early July are making him pretty uncomfortable, and t...