Sunday, January 20, 2013

What do you get when the snow melts?

Well, if the temperatures are low enough and/or the snowmelt is in the shade, you get ice, of course. Black ice. The kind you don't notice, especially on a blacktopped surface.

You know where this is going, don't you?

My husband and I set off for a walk yesterday and didn't even make it to the end of the driveway before I slipped and fell. I'm not badly hurt, just sore and stiff. And I continued the walk, cutting what I'd hoped would be a three-miler into two. I found a good, long, sturdy tree branch to use as a walking stick, and that helped quite a bit.

Sucks to get old, people.

My arthritic right hip bothers me quite a bit anyway, so of course I fell on my right side. Hip, hand, elbow and shoulder all hit hard. And OF COURSE one of our neighbors happened to be driving by as my husband was helping me up. Nothing worse than having witnesses when you fall on your ass.

We'd planned to go see Lincoln yesterday afternoon, and I felt good enough to not change those plans. I'm so glad I went. I don't know what they're teaching in history classes these days, but I've learned more about Constitutional amendments (specifically the 19th and the 13th) from commercially made films than I ever did in a classroom. The movie was very well done. Oh, and politics never changes. That was a good lesson for me, as I tend to get rather crazed sometimes. (Who, ME? Heh.)

Our little one-screen theatre will be showing Academy Award-nominated films for the next month. Better late than never, I say. It's an all-day event for us to go to the city to see a current film. And I'd much rather keep my movie dollars local and reduce the amount of fuel and auto wear-and-tear by driving just 12 miles.

You thought I was kidding about being in the Middle of Nowhere, didn't you? I texted to a friend yesterday that not only does the nearest town not have a traffic light, there's no traffic light in the entire county in which I live.

Now THAT, my friends, is the Middle of Nowhere.

3 comments:

Raytheist said...

Well it sucks to take a fall, no matter where or how. Bruised is no fun, but glad you weren't broken. :-)

Vickie said...

I read the book (Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln (2005) by Doris Kearns Goodwin) and it was most excellent.

I think it is absolutely lovely that your local theater is running the nomination movies.

When I was in college, in a tiny town, there was one movie theater. It had been made by putting a roof, front and back on a thin alley (I kid you not). There was no running water in the building (as it was just a walled in alley). I grew up in a town with one movie theater also. Movies played there for two weeks and then changed, one at a time. There was running water/bathroom in that one.

Glad your fall was not terrible. I am active, but really identify with the fear of falling thing (that I see in elderly). It took from May until nearly the end of the year to be back to normal after my broken foot, and even now, I am not putting any weight on my toes in bent position (my plank has all the weight on the other/right leg, I drop my left knee and put back of my foot flat, in lunge).

denise said...

Sorry to hear about your fall. Hope there are no lasting repercussions. I'm in the final throws of knee replacement prep...get the procedure on Tuesday...so I'll be off line for a while (probably at least for the remainder of this week while I'm in the hospital - hope to get back online once I'm in rehab).

I look forward to catching up on your adventures when I'm back on the inter webs!

Walk safely - and share your movie reviews. I haven't been able to see a lot of the nominated films and with the surgery that won't likely change before the awards, I'm afraid.

Day Last

 Mike finished his chemo yesterday. The cumulative effects of four rounds beginning in early July are making him pretty uncomfortable, and t...