Friday, March 22, 2013

A necessary break

I'm headed out of town today, to deliver some of those Easter crafty goodies to my younger granddaughter. Not sure if I'll be walking over the weekend and also not in charge of food. This could stall my progress even more.

IS THAT EVEN POSSIBLE?

I have developed what I think is IT Band Syndrome, and resting might end up being a good thing. I've been stretching and massaging, but I've still been walking and by the end of almost any distance I'm nearly at the limping stage. (The site of my pain is not at the knee, which is typical, but at the upper end of the iliotibial band. So I could be wrong about my diagnosis, but I don't think so.)

We woke up to snow and absolutely f-f-frigid temperatures yesterday. The meeting I had prepared for was canceled. Kind of ironic to postpone a meeting due to weather on the first day of spring, but there you go. I didn't leave the house at all and, in fact, took a long, long nap. I wasn't exactly sick, but I also didn't feel well. This has been a short activity week, with total mileage standing at 14. Not my lowest mileage for a week since the first of the year, but almost.

I feel like one of those people who starts the year off with a bang and three months later is phoning it in. The timing for this trip combined with an overuse injury makes me feel oh-so-typical. With the potential for four consecutive days of not walking, I'll be ready for a fresh start next Monday.

(There is a chance that my daughter-in-law and I will walk Saturday and Sunday mornings, but I haven't talked with her about it yet. If so, this post will be null and void. Heh.)

I've been thinking arthritis was settling in my right hip (and it may be). But when the pain progressed down the outside of my leg to my knee, and when stairs and getting in and out of the car became more problematic, I decided to consult with Dr. Google.

So nice to know it's probably not an AGE thing, but an ATHLETE thing!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

In my Pilates classes, we use a foam roller to help with IT band pain and it really seems to help. I don't know if you have a roller, but they have gotten a lot cheaper and easier to find:

http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/videos-detail.asp?video=49

There is some controversy over what it is really doing (stretching or just "resetting" that area) but it does help with the pain. A few days off might help too.

Vickie said...

Don't mess around with an IT injury. Find out what you actually need to do. If it says rest - REST. They can be very hard to heal.

Day Last

 Mike finished his chemo yesterday. The cumulative effects of four rounds beginning in early July are making him pretty uncomfortable, and t...