Thursday, March 14, 2013

Mmmm. Pi(e).


It's 3/14, y'all! Happy Pi Day! You math geeks know what I'm talkin' about. The rest of us can go make pate brisee. Heh.

So, it's snowing. Again. Or still. I took yesterday off to do a little retail therapy after my morning meltdown and got caught in a whiteout at the Target in Christiansburg! The sun was back out by the time I headed home, although it was still too cold to walk. This overnight snow should melt by this afternoon and I can get back on track again.

I have a couple of projects to work on – Easter banners for the grandchildren, super-simple odor-removing coffee soap (to which I am going to add some cinnamon, I think) and Groundworks Nursery's newsletter. I was supposed to work in the Groundworks greenhouse this morning, but I'm a little nervous about getting down my hill and then getting up theirs with snow on the ground.

I'm such a wuss about driving.

Thanks for the outpouring of support yesterday. I may work on my macronutrient ratios to see if increasing the protein and reducing the carbs makes a difference. I'm not ready for full-out paleo and I'm definitely not interested in a low-fat (i.e., 20 grams or less) plan, but my protein has been in the 15-to-17 percent range each week, and the carbs are at about 45 percent. I could increase the former and decrease the latter and see what happens.

What I'm definitely not interested in doing is anything that I can't sustain for the rest of my life. I don't want to go back to where I was 20 years ago, working out like a maniac, completely eliminating sugar, nearly eliminating fat, snacking on pretzels, being cold all the time, watching my hair fall out and my skin get dry and itchy. I lost weight, yes, but at a great price.

What I'm doing now – walking regularly and eating a reasonable number of calories, choosing whole foods instead of processed, having an occasional treat – should yield results. I don't want to be my own science experiment.

I just want to wear smaller pants.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh man, I feel for you. I don't have suggestions, because we've both been-there-done-that. But I will say that sadly I think you DO have to be your own science experiment. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that INDIVIDUAL nutrition is the key, because obviously what works for one doesn't work for another. And I'm sorry about the snow. I was just griping that it's sunny but cool here today; guess I should count my blessings.

Debbi said...

Good point about being our own science experiments, my friend. But I still don't want to! Heh.

Liesl Garner said...

I like that you are working on sustainability. All the fad diets do is completely mess up our metabolism. So yes - reasonable - and yes to wearing smaller pants. I'm with you. I'm on the same mission! This time change has just kicked the wind out of me.

Vickie said...

Scale is giving you scientific data which you can then use to your advantage. Agree the non stretch jeans and measurements also give you good information. Hard not to take is personally, I know, but it is scientific data.

I think you are smart to look at your percentages. Every trainer I have ever talked to on this subject suggests exactly what you plan to do - adjust your percentages until you find what works for you.

Most of the time, healthy carbs and proteins need to be almost balanced and then healthy fats are slightly lower. Eating at meal time (whether that is 3, 4 meals) and a lot of (plain) WATER also helps. And this is real food because that is a heck of a lot easier to track/figure how your body processes it. If there are a dozen chemicals listed, hard to know how to track and what is really impacting you.

Good plan.

Day Last

 Mike finished his chemo yesterday. The cumulative effects of four rounds beginning in early July are making him pretty uncomfortable, and t...