Sunday, March 10, 2013

The reward at the end of the day

Yesterday was a pretty busy day for me. As I've gotten older, my energy level has diminished significantly, enough that I really, really notice it. I sometimes have to step back and look at the fact that I am, in fact, in my 60s, not my 40s, and one's energy does diminish (usually) with age.

So the fact that I

  • did four loads of laundry (bedding and linens, no clothing)
  • line-dried most of it
  • took care of a couple little nagging chores
  • vacuumed the entire house
  • walked for two hours (6.2 miles – a 10K!) and 
  • prepared a home-cooked meal (chicken with peanut sauce and rice) 

proves that yes, once in a while, I can still get things done.

The reward was going to bed early, one of my favorite things to do. Heh. (That's kind of a joke; I always go to bed early and spend an hour or so reading. I have little interest in television these days.) I had a little trouble actually getting to sleep last night, though. It might have been the aches and pains that are a natural result of walking 14 miles in two days.

Or it might have come from inhaling the scent of sun-kissed sheets every time I moved. Ahhhh.

2 comments:

denise said...

Yes, I'm with you on the diminishing energy. I'm not quite in my 60's yet, but will hit 58 later this week, which is close enough.

Yesterday I indulged in one of my favorite things - shopping. I spent over an hour walking around one store, a little while in a second, came home and ate lunch, stood outside talking to a neighbor for a half hour, sat down for a while, and then went to the mall and walked around for over an hour and a half. (Best news of all, the only thing I bought was a top that was marked down to $10 - and I had a $5 off coupon - so only spent $5!)

My walking doesn't sound like much compared to your 14 miles, but as you can imagine, my knee is screaming "WTF" today! Not at all happy with me, but I'm convinced it was good for me (and my knee) nonetheless. Tomorrow is PT, and I may try to go do a little mall walking afterwards. Walking outdoors is still a little dicey because of the uneven ground, so for now I'll stick with the mall. Assuming the therapist doesn't disagree, I think it's time to kick it up a little bit.

Debbi said...

Happy early birthday, Denise! And your walking is amazing, so soon after your surgery! Stay safe, but keep it up. You're too young to be experiencing limited mobility. When I was shopping Friday I, too, bought a $5 top. I should have tried it on at the store, though, because it was CLEARLY mismarked. I'll keep it for a year, if I can't get into it next fall it's going to Goodwill. Lesson learned ... dressing rooms are there for a reason!

Day Last

 Mike finished his chemo yesterday. The cumulative effects of four rounds beginning in early July are making him pretty uncomfortable, and t...