Friday, March 1, 2013

Thought for the day

Here's what popped into my inbox this morning from the Universe:

Whoohoooooo, Debbi! Guess what?
Everything, absolutely everything you've ever wanted, now lies within reach!
Of course ... you still have to reach. 
Tallyho,     The Universe
Not much reaching going on yesterday, unfortunately, but I really, really, really needed a rest. I rarely nap, but I went to bed after lunch and slept until 4 p.m. Completely unlike me, which is how I know I needed it. I had a sore throat and a headache, but am much better this morning. In fact, I feel fine, fine enough to get out to the grocery in a little while.

Yesterday was the first day since Christmas that I ate more than the calorie limit AND skipped a workout on the same day. It all averages out, though. I'm still committed to my eat-healthy-and-workout-regularly plan, and I trust that I'll be more fit as time goes on. Whether I'm less fat remains to be seen, but I'm a patient person.

This month's NaBloPoMo theme is Risk. I have more than a little experience along those lines, and I might actually respond to some of the prompts this month. It's an interesting topic to explore, particularly for someone whose motto used to be "If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space." Ah, those were the days.

Part of my recent malaise – perhaps most of it – is the weather. We're not marveling at the mild winter this year, as we did the last one. We're filling the ice-melt bucket and keeping the shovel handy and securing things that will blow away in the wind and oh, how we're wishing for spring. I have a work day at the greenhouse coming up in a couple of weeks and I can't wait to get my hands dirty. We're going to put 2,000 tiny baby annuals (they're called plugs) into pots, starting them on their journey from a commercial greenhouse to your gardens.

And mine.

The first breath of spring comes from the garden, doesn't it?

Or maybe the bakery. The Amish bakery down the road opens today! Yay! I need oats and eggs and a loaf of their good old-fashioned whole wheat bread.

Happy March. What says "spring" to you?

4 comments:

denise said...

I think Spring has a smell to it. I can't explain it, but one day you walk out the door and it just smells like Spring! There's also a sound to it that comes mostly from birds I think. Again it's not something I can be specific about; I just know it when I hear it.

Around here daffodils are often considered the harbinger of Spring, but in recent years the crazy weather can have them coming out before their time, so I consider them to be unreliable.

Overall, Spring is just a feeling that comes over you ... when it's here, I know it. And I can't explain it any better than that! :-)

Debbi said...

When I lived in Ohio it was seeing the first robin that said SPRING IS HERE. Apparently the robins are year-'rounders here in southern WV, although I never see them in December or January. I got really excited when I saw robins in early February, but here we are in early March and it's STILL winter!

Audrey said...

Spring has a smell in my neighborhood - plum blossoms in bloom. And they just started opening up last week here in Southern California. My entire block is starting to get a delightlfully perfumey smell. (sorry to rub it in)

Michelle Levine said...

I can't celebrate spring until April because I have massive issues with the month of March (which I will probably blog about if I keep up the NaBloPoMo challenge)...it does feel a long time coming this season. I am not an outdoorsy gardening type (my husband and kids are) so I can't speak to spring coming from the garden, but I am all for the bakery : )

Day Last

 Mike finished his chemo yesterday. The cumulative effects of four rounds beginning in early July are making him pretty uncomfortable, and t...