Friday, April 19, 2013

Lowering expectations

I worked myself into quite a tizzy yesterday, trying to accomplish too many things but ultimately getting everything done WITH time for a little bit of a lie-down in the afternoon. I surely will never be finished working on taking things/life/events one at a time.

But I really should keep on trying.

Yesterday's morning walk-before-work was lovely. Work itself was crisp and dewy and shiny. The plants are doing so well, everything looks lush and abundant. It is a JOY to work surrounded by such beauty.

After work is when my brain started frazzling, but by the end of the day I had:

  • filled my car with gas
  • had the transmission fluid checked
  • went to the grocery
  • failed to go to the bank because I forgot to bring the check I wanted to cash
  • took my second two-mile walk du jour, this time with my husband
  • showered
  • had a little rest
  • prepared and ate dinner (that taco salad again, yum!)
  • went to an evening meeting
  • collapsed

All of those things happened while my head was spinning about how I was going to make all those things happen. What did I learn? I don't need to fret so much. The fretting didn't help at all!

Lunch didn't happen, but I didn't miss it. That's happened a couple of times recently and, for someone who insists on three squares a day, it's enlightening to find I can actually function and accomplish and get on with it without a meal.

I didn't eat lunch. I didn't die. No big deal.

I've been awake for a very long time, at least three hours (it's not quite 7 a.m.), awakened by who-knows-what and mesmerized ever since by the ongoing situation in Watertown, Massachusetts. If you're there, I hope you're safe. It must be terrifying to be in the midst of such a fluid and dangerous situation. Please, please stay safe, and may this day be the one in which the Boston-area terror ends.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I keep trying to persuade myself that fretting doesn't help, but I still do it...

Weirdly, I find it easier to skip breakfast or dinner than lunch.

Debbi said...

I would probably have trouble skipping lunch if I were at home, but both days this week that I missed it (yes, there were TWO!), I was out and about, busy and didn't have time. On both days, I got home pretty late in the afternoon and dinner was on the horizon. I was famished, but I didn't die waiting until dinner was ready. That's a valuable piece of information/experience for me.

Day Last

 Mike finished his chemo yesterday. The cumulative effects of four rounds beginning in early July are making him pretty uncomfortable, and t...