Thursday, April 11, 2013

The best-laid plans

I had every intention of walking yesterday afternoon when I left the garden center. EVERY INTENTION. All I had to do immediately after work was run to town to pick up eggs, a short trip that wasn't going to take more than 15 additional minutes out of the day.

If you look over there in the righthand sidebar, you'll see the Daily Mile widget says 296 miles. I SO wanted to flip it up to 300 yesterday, which would have meant hitting 300 miles on the 100th day of the year.

Obviously, it didn't happen. It doesn't mean I didn't get a good workout in. But helping to unload more than 400 plants from a delivery truck doesn't exactly translate into miles.

Oh. My. Aching. Arms. Back. Glutes. Calves.

I got to work at 9 and started watering shortly thereafter. We had a few customers, and I wasn't finished watering four hours later when this giant truck pulled into the parking lot. I wasn't expecting any deliveries. Turns out he was a day early. The owner showed up at about the same time, as surprised as I was, and called the landscaping crew away from a job to come help unload.

An hour later the garden center was JAM-PACKED with new stuff. I didn't even have time to take any pictures, but I will today.

I had time as I was leaving Tiny Kroger to snap the next-door bank's time-and-temperature sign. It was 2:11 p.m. (you'll have to trust me):


My husband said when he drove by the same sign an hour or so later it was 87°. High-temperature records were shattered all over southern West Virginia and southwest Virginia yesterday afternoon.

I came home and rested for a bit, then turned some of the eggs into a frittata for dinner. With a foundation of wilted baby spinach and topped with mushrooms, tomatoes, onions and asparagus (the last two from my garden!), it was delicious. We practically inhaled it.

The best-laid plan for today is to get those four miles done, done, done. I work again this morning, but there shouldn't be any surprise delivery trucks showing up. I woke up so early today that I have plenty of time to throw a salad together before I leave for work, and all I have to do when I get home is make a taco-seasoned ground beef topping.

I marvel at you women with children and full-time jobs, managing to juggle way more balls than I do. And then I think of my daughter who has added law school to her very busy mix.

My gratitude for my simple life is boundless, endless. How lucky I am.

6 comments:

Vickie said...

http://greenlitebites.com/2008/04/06/taco-seasoning/

1 ½ tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp dried cilantro
½ tsp onion powder
½ tsp garlic powder
Ground red pepper flakes to taste

Roni posted this years ago. Whenever I see someone mention taco seasoning, I leave it for them, because it is a great way to get away from the high salt taco seasoning packets sold at the store. Maybe you already have a home brew recipe to avoid sodium, but thought I would leave it anyway.

Vickie said...

I cannot even begin to tell you how jealous I am that you have an asparagus (mound, grove, pile).

Shauna said...

Wow, 85 degrees already! I am so happy for you and that enormous mileage, btw :) Still a touch of asparagus envy tho... hehe!

Debbi said...

Thanks for the seasoning mixture recipe, Vickie. I've been using a homemade blend for a couple of years, but will certainly give this one a try!

Anonymous said...

Wow, the sight of that frittata is making me hungry...and I just ate.

Teresa

Two Demented Dames said...

I like your walking widget. Nova had a great show on exercise and moving, just walking, not running and being on your feet is one of the best exercises you can do. You've inspired me, thanks. At least by walking, I can enjoy the world around me.
Keep on moving.

Day Last

 Mike finished his chemo yesterday. The cumulative effects of four rounds beginning in early July are making him pretty uncomfortable, and t...