Sunday, April 7, 2013

To answer your question …

Gingerzingi commented yesterday:

Are there really weekend crowds at Tractor Supply? :-)


Well, YES. I wish I'd taken a picture, I really wanted to but didn't have the nerve after all. There were crowds of …

get ready …

CHICKENS!

When you walk in the store, right behind the checkout area, there were three huge metal troughs with warmers set up in the middle of each and dozens of baby chicks all milling about and cheeping and looking adorable.

I cannot talk my husband into keeping chickens. Cannot, cannot, cannot. I've tried. We have tons of space, a shed that could be converted to a coop and I'm willing to do all the work (which, as I understand, isn't much). He won't hear of it. Especially when we can buy eggs from the Amish just a couple miles down the road.

There were crowds of a few people there, too, but way more chicks than folks.

I found the fencing tape I needed, but had to search a while to find the step-in posts I was looking for. Finally flagged down a helpful sales associate, who walked me to the bin, instead of just pointing the way.

I guess she thought I looked like a newbie to Tractor Supply. Which I am, I don't go there often, but I do feel like the proverbial kid-in-a-candy-store when I do. So. Much. Fun. Farm. Stuff.
Cue Wilford Brimley as Pop Fisher in The Natural: "Since the day I was born, I shoulda been a farmer. I love chickens, pigs, ducks – I'm kind of fond of nanny goats, I am."
Anyway, I finished my mission there, I went on to a couple other stores to get everything else on my list. Got home about 3:30, put perishables away and went for a walk. I'd hoped to get home earlier, but hey, shopping happens. (Rarely, 'tis true, but it does occasionally take over my best-laid plans.)

Finished the walk (which was lovely, by the way – warm temperatures and a gentle breeze), came home, fixed dinner and watched basketball until bedtime.

Oh, and I also played with this. Some. Merry Christmas (finally!) to me.

1 comment:

Winnie said...

Spring has sprung finally!! I am off to take a long awaited walk in one of our local arboretums. I live in NYC and one of my brothers moved from the city upstate NY. Last year he decided to raise chicken for eggs. We, thought him mad as he never even kept a pet! But, with help of locals building a coop and some info in hand, he has 6 of them and they are doing well. I was surprised they fared well in the harsh winter, but fine. The eggs are delicious etc. I visited and thought them cute, but know I couldn't deal with them daily. I am a bit afraid of the pecking (wacky, I know). I think you are so lucky to have fresh eggs at your disposal! Awesome! Enjoy your tablet!!

Day Last

 Mike finished his chemo yesterday. The cumulative effects of four rounds beginning in early July are making him pretty uncomfortable, and t...