Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Can't. Sleep.

Thank you for your kind words and thoughts about Melissa.

What I didn't tell you yesterday is that she and her husband were fostering four children. The youngest is one and the oldest is not quite six. I don't know what will happen to them now. The agency felt they were being well cared for. If they took them from Melissa and Simon they would have to be split up into different families, as no one else was willing to take four. So they stayed, despite the diagnosis and with a lot of help from the community.

When I was visiting Melissa Saturday, the littlest one tucked himself onto the couch beside me. He wanted a little cuddle, which I was happy to give him. I didn't see any of the other children, but there were many people in the house and I know someone was paying attention to them.

Visitation is this afternoon at four; my husband and I will go. Her funeral is tomorrow, and I think we'll stay home. Burials, to me, seem like private, family events.

It's raining here this morning, but it looks as if it will move out by around 9 a.m. I'll walk then, and plan to weed the herb bed if it's not too muddy.

The rest of our week is kind of crazy. My husband and I are going away for a couple days Thursday. We'll be home Saturday afternoon. Later on Saturday my husband's son and family are coming in for one night. I won't have time to do much before they arrive, so the major housecleaning and getting-ready-for-company will happen today and tomorrow.

There's not much to do, since we just had company. The guest room and guest bath are fine. I got the whole yard mowed yesterday. We'll probably have breakfast for dinner Saturday, since there won't be time to thaw anything from the freezer. I just need to be a little better organized before my husband and I leave.

So. Life goes on. And will certainly be a little less bright without Melissa's light in it.

5 comments:

Vickie said...

Amish children being fostered by Amish, OR English children being fostered by Amish? We have English children here, who have been adopted by Amish. I always wonder what their English birth families would think about that fact. I personally love the Amish and think they do a most excellent job with their families. But I am sure it is not what most English would picture in surrendering a baby.

Debbi said...

Vickie, the children are English. These are the second set of siblings Melissa and Simon have fostered. The first were returned to their mother just days before an adoption would have been final. It was heartbreaking.

Vickie said...

I have an English friend who was in the foster to adopt program and that happened to her a couple times. Literally the week OF the final papers and some relative would come forward and claim child. These were babies she had from birth and this would happen about age 2-3. She DID finally end up with one that she was able to keep. That child is now 5, been with them since birth, doing very well.

Unknown said...

That is upsetting. I hope they can stay together somehow.

Unknown said...

Also, very sorry for the loss of your friend. Glad that she didn't have to suffer long, but it's sad nonetheless.

Day Last

 Mike finished his chemo yesterday. The cumulative effects of four rounds beginning in early July are making him pretty uncomfortable, and t...