Saturday, October 12, 2013

Chairs have gotten bigger …

and my shoe size has gotten significantly smaller.

Yesterday's shopping trip was mostly about looking for a pair of chairs to replace an old and uncomfortable loveseat in what we laughingly and lovingly call our "den." It's a tiny room, only about 9-by-10 feet, but it's where we he watches television, so having comfortable seating is a priority.

We wandered through a real furniture store and sat in dozens of chairs without finding anything we either a) liked or b) could afford. We replaced our living room sofa, chair and coffee table seven years ago for just slightly more than the current price of a good chair!

As we left the store, I mentioned that I thought all the chairs we tried out seemed so … big. My husband said it was because I've lost weight, but I found that hard to believe. Just to be sure, though, I sat in our living room chair (which I love) when we got home. It isn't nearly as wide as the store's current stock.

Here's why. Hint: It has nothing to do with the increasing width of American asses.

Anyway, as we got in the car, my husband suggested going to Target. And we found two chairs and a storage bench that will work perfectly in our tiny space, didn't break the bank and are amazingly comfortable. No, they're not top-quality and yes, they'll show some wear sooner rather than later, but we're practical people, and we aren't interested in having our furniture outlive us.
They only had one chair in stock, so I have to go back next week to pick up the other one. OH, DARN. ANOTHER TRIP TO TARGET. (I plan to go solo and to stop at the Gap Outlet before I head home.)

Part of yesterday's trip also was to find a couple things to wear to the rescheduled J-J Dinner. My little black dress would have just worked in early October, but won't be appropriate next month. I'm wearing a long black jersey skirt and a beautiful and fancy handknit sweater, but needed a dressy top and shoes, both of which I found.

I used to wear a size 8-1/2 shoe. All my running shoes, clogs and Birkenstock sandals are 8-1/2s. The sandals I bought this summer are 8s, but I chalked that up to a difference in brand. My new boots are size 7-1/2 and the new black kitten heels I found yesterday are – get ready – size 7.

If you've lost a lot of weight, has your shoe size changed significantly? Or are shoes being vanity sized nowadays, as clothing is? (Except the top I bought still looked better in a large than a medium. So not all clothing is vanity sized these days.)

We enjoyed our day together very much, and are looking forward to hiking someplace nearby this afternoon. Neither of the football teams we follow (Ohio State and West Virginia) are playing today. We're having breakfast for dinner (and thus I don't have to slave all day making something special for his birthday).

We thought about going back to the Cascades, but since it's part of the Jefferson National Forest, it's closed due to the government shutdown. We'll need to go earlier rather than later, as it's supposed to rain this afternoon. I'm looking forward to using the new phone camera to capture some of the beautiful fall color we're enjoying.

Film Image at eleven!

1 comment:

Vickie said...

Yes, my feet changed hugely. Weight loss and tone. I have very yoga-ish feet now.

Day Last

 Mike finished his chemo yesterday. The cumulative effects of four rounds beginning in early July are making him pretty uncomfortable, and t...