Thursday, October 3, 2013

Darn. Missed reporting another milestone.

But this time it has nothing to do with fitness or health or weight loss.

Tuesday's photo post was the 2000th on this blog. My first blog, The Shrinking Knitter, ended nearly two years ago after 694 posts.
I've gotten a bit wordy (and posted a lot of photos!) in the past two years.

A recent commenter asked:
Does the book address the cost of Judges not wanting to add people to the system? I see Judges giving people chance after chance to fix contempts rather than telling them to pay up or go to jail.

The book in question is Orange is the New Black, which I recently finished reading. I don't recall any mention of this particular topic in the book. It really wasn't relevant to the author's situation. She was guilty and didn't fight her indictment.

I know a lot of women who are marginally guilty – not turning a dealer boyfriend/husband/son in to the authorities is probably the most frequent "crime." It's a crime because of the way prosecutors interpret the conspiracy laws. Many prosecutors are backing off from these cases, and paying more attention to those who are more directly responsible.

And that, in my opinion, is a good thing.

Yesterday was a busy and very tiring day. In order to fit everything in, I had to skip posting. What did I do instead of writing to you? Ran/walked four miles, which was two fewer than I wanted to do, but all I had time for.

WHO IS THIS WOMAN AND WHAT HAS SHE DONE WITH DEBBI?

Used to be that if I was staring at a jam-packed day I would postpone the scheduled workout. I certainly wouldn't miss my morning routine of coffee+Blogger. I could skip a day of laundry or housework, but not breakfast.

Yesterday I kept the coffee, skipped breakfast (unless a single banana counts), and did the four miles. Since laundry and housework will always be there, I didn't even count them as being skipped. A couple of out-of-town cousins were visiting my husband and his mother and we all went out for lunch at the fanciest place in my neck of the woods.

I felt a little guilty, what with food stamps being cut and government workers being furloughed. I daresay I was the only one who did, with the exception of my husband. The cousins really wanted to go, so we went.

My penance will be cleaning out my pantry and donating dried beans/rice/baking ingredients to a food pantry. Having a $20 Cobb salad (sans bleu cheese dressing) for lunch on the second day of a government shutdown was just the motivation I needed to add "pantry clean-out" to my to-do list.

As for that shutdown … I'm beyond discouraged. I just hope my Senators, both Democrats, continue to stand with the President and refuse to cave on delaying the implementation of the ACA's individual mandate. I couldn't get into healthcare.gov Tuesday, and didn't have time to try yesterday. Deadline for signing up is December 15, so there's plenty of time.

But I'm thinking the GOP's days are numbered.

No comments:

Day Last

 Mike finished his chemo yesterday. The cumulative effects of four rounds beginning in early July are making him pretty uncomfortable, and t...