Thursday, October 24, 2013

I'm dreaming of a …

fried bologna sandwich on white bread with bread-and-butter pickles and a slice of onion.

SERIOUSLY! How weird is that?

What I know about myself as this year of living healthfully winds down and moves into the next one (because I'm NEVER turning back, I feel too good), is that one fried bologna sandwich on white bread with bread-and-butter pickles and a slice of onion wouldn't kill me. And likely wouldn't do any weight-loss damage, either.

I'd probably feel crappy for a day or so. That's happened following my planned cake and s'mores treats in the summer.

I won't indulge, however, because I'd have to drive more than five hours to get the one fried bologna sandwich worth the cheat.

In Waldo, Ohio, a tiny town north of Columbus, is the G&R Tavern, home of a world-famous fried bologna sandwich. Well, maybe just a far-and-wide famous bologna sandwich. My dad and I frequently made the drive up to Waldo for a daddy-daughter lunch.

It ain't healthy, but man is it ever delicious.

I imagine dreaming of crappy food for someone following a paleo plan is similar to recovering alcoholics' drunk dreams, of which I've had more than a few. It's a sober (ahem) reminder that some things just aren't worth it.

If the G&R were an hour away, though, it just might be.

1 comment:

Vickie said...

You could do turkey bologna.
And dry pan fry the bologna as the bottom of the sandwich and the onion as the top of the sandwich.

I frequently do "sandwiches" where the meat is the bottom and onion and slice of tomato are the top.

Day Last

 Mike finished his chemo yesterday. The cumulative effects of four rounds beginning in early July are making him pretty uncomfortable, and t...