Tuesday, October 1, 2013

So.

The government is shut down and the Tea Party won't shut up.

That's my tweet du jour.

In other news, I finished reading Orange is the New Black yesterday. If justice issues aren't your thing, you probably won't enjoy the book. That said, if you're concerned about the cost of incarceration – and I'm not just talking about dollars, but also societal costs – it's an excellent primer on what really happens in prison.

I've been a volunteer at a federal facility for more than a dozen years. I learned more reading Piper Kerman's book than I have in all that time of up-close-and-personal interaction with inmates.

The prison's annual refresher training emphasizes personal safety, identifies contraband and reminds us we to wear close-toed shoes (the better to run in, my dear, in case one of them-thar criminal types gets feisty). The book tells the truth.

The book is very different from the Netflix series. Nearly apples-and-oranges different. The series is entertaining and dramatic and outrageous. The book is more serious and very readable.

•••

The government shutdown will affect all of us and cost hundreds of millions, if not billions, of dollars in the long run. The Tea Party caucus is comprised of 49 Congressional representatives. That so few in government could cause so much harm and upheaval says a lot about the lack of leadership in the GOP. And the lack of concern for this country and her people.

My new hashtag is #votedem110414.

And my job today is to sign up for health insurance at healthcare.gov.

2 comments:

Rennata said...

Does the book address the cost of Judges not wanting to add people to the system? I see Judges giving people chance after chance to fix contempts rather than telling them to pay up or go to jail.

Renae said...

An excellent post. I'll keep an eye out for the hashtag.

Day Last

 Mike finished his chemo yesterday. The cumulative effects of four rounds beginning in early July are making him pretty uncomfortable, and t...