Wednesday, November 6, 2013

A good day in the neighborhood

And by "neighborhood" I mean traditionally conservative Virginia, who just elected a Democrat for their next Governor.

If I drive just 14 miles south, I'm in the Commonwealth, in the reddest of the red part of the state. (Although, to be sure, the state is pretty red all over.) When I recently traveled to Blacksburg on those shopping trips, I passed way too many billboard-sized signs for Ken Cuccinelli, and far too few supporting Terry McAuliffe. And despite the good poll numbers for the Democrat, I was a little concerned.

And it looks as though I had good reason to be. The margin of victory was uncomfortably slim. What tipped the scales (you'll pardon my phraseology … this is, after all, somewhat of a weight-loss blog lately)?

Women.
Exit poll graphic from New York Times.
Virginia's current Republican governor and the candidate his party chose to replace him are front-and-center in the war on women, pushing for laws restricting reproductive rights. They cry for small government while standing at your bedroom door, making sure you're practicing the 'right' kind of intimacy. Both the governor and lieutenant governor candidates were backed by the Tea Party.

And Virginia's women sent them packing. Not with the big bang I would have liked. It looks like the vote was more against Cucinelli than for McAuliffe. But it was enough.

One of the signs I saw for McAuliffe proclaimed that "As governor, I never want another coal plant built." He's also strongly in favor of tough gun regulations. In his final debate, he said:
"Some people should not own guns." He then defended his gun control proposals, saying: "I don't care what grade I got from the NRA. [He got an "F."] I never want to see another Newtown or Aurora or Virginia Tech again."
Those are instant negatives in southwest Virginia, where God, guns and gays line up right alongside coal as hot-button issues. That McAuliffe stood by his principles says a lot for his character and conviction. Not so much for his political prowess, but WHATEVER. I love that he was honest and that it worked.

West Virginia's elected Democratic leaders aren't so gutsy. I only wish they were. Perhaps McAuliffe's example of speaking the truth and getting the votes will show Democrat candidates here in the Mountain State that there is support for more progressive positions. Congressional staffers count calls and letters; conservatives are more vocal than moderates or liberals.

Which makes me think of that John Lewis quote I had made into a t-shirt:
It's time. It's our time. Women matter and women vote. And when women vote, Democrats WIN.

1 comment:

Rich Mom, Rich Dad. Poor Mom, Poor Dad. said...

Congratulations! Very exciting. Women DO matter and we do wield our voting voices!

Elections are such an exciting time.

www.jaimelovesstuff.com

Day Last

 Mike finished his chemo yesterday. The cumulative effects of four rounds beginning in early July are making him pretty uncomfortable, and t...