Sunday, November 10, 2013

Insert clever title here

As this week winds down, I want to provide links to the first set of featured NaBloPoMo Must-Follow Monday blogs. I've added each of them to my Feedly list and have enjoyed reading their posts.
Here's an introduction to a few of the blogs participating in NaBloPoMo this month. We chose these in particular to show the diversity of bloggers that commit to blogging monthly in November -- but remember, there are still many, many, many more to meet on the list. Go meet them, too!
Schmutzie
Elan Morgan has been publishing a new poem every day in 2013 on the Schmoetry section of her blog, Schmutzie, and this month, she's stepping up to the plate to post some prose every day, too, in her (ahem) copious spare time.
Hedonia
Sean Timberlake of Hedonia writes mostly about food, with some travel and San Francisco living thrown in. His words and pictures narrate his experience -- from inspiration to cooking; from planning a party to the conviviality that ensues. It's always informed, often witty, and sometimes even lyrical.
The Lovely Photog
LeSha posts her passions -- everything from style to business to life stories -- at The Lovely Photographer, plus, of course, lovely photography. She's going for it ALL in November -- participating in a 30 Thankful Days Instagram challenge, National Novel Writing Month, AND NaBloPoMo. Go, LeSha!
I'm Not the Nanny
Thien Kim Lam blogs her life as a Washington, DC blogger raising biracial kids at I'm Not The Nanny, covering parenting, local events, cooking and tech. Bookmark her five staples you need in your cupboard for Vietnamese recipes, and don't miss I'm Tired of Defending My Nationality; her stirring op-ed was selected as a BlogHer Voices of the Year post in 2013.
xoxoxo e
At xoxoxo e, Elisabeth Periale blogs all things pop culture (movies, music, TV) -- as well as life in general as a feminist, a parent, and a very witty person. Don't miss her really cool genealogy and found Civil War photography, and original art blog, too.
I usually read blogs from my tablet or phone. I am, apparently, touch-keyboard challenged, because I will frequently type an insightful and illuminating comment <snort> only to have the screen magically eat it as it whisks its way back to the previous screen. Very frustrating.

I'm going to make a point of reading each one today right here on the comment-friendly laptop … the laptop that has more than twice as much free space today as it did yesterday!

I got rid of many megs of duplicate photos, but haven't done any serious culling there yet. And I haven't even touched the music. I predict greatly improved performance once I get rid of all the free songs I've downloaded because I'm a cheapskate I'm frugal I wanted to expand my musical tastes. 

Yesterday's photo post of my recent lab results made me very happy. I've learned so much since I started down the paleo path, not the least of which is to keep doing what works for me. The SAD (Standard American Diet) didn't work, and hasn't worked for years. Yet every time the FDA tweaked the Food Pyramid, I thought it would. They have all those scientists and doctors working there, right?

But as Gingerzingi has frequently pointed out, we are our own science experiments. I'm still astonished, seven months into this, that
  • I am pain-free. 
  • I can maintain a significant weight loss.
  • I can (hopefully) continue to lose weight.
  • I don't crave the foods I've cut from my diet and, last but not least,
  • I can wear cheap costume jewelry!

Priorities, people, priorities.

More and more, we're learning that, no, fat really doesn't make you fat. And more and more, we're learning that refined sugar and fake fats – pumped into fat-free and processed foods to hook you into eating more to make them tastier and more shelf-stable – might ultimately be the problem.

As with most science-y things, it's complicated and there's usually no single right answer. Unless you're talking about gravity.

Gravity works.

I'm not a scientist, except in my own kitchen and dining room. FOR ME, whole foods based on a paleo plan combined with almost-daily activity have worked just fine. Quite well, as a matter of fact. And even if I never lose another pound, I'm going to keep on keepin' on. I've never felt better and I'm wearing size 10 jeans. Why wouldn't I?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I was musing this morning over whether the real problem with the SAD is not what it includes but what it leaves out. For example, most people don't eat many vegetables or fruit. They don't get Omega 3s. They don't get much fiber. And what they get is a LOT of sugar. Even things that aren't supposed to be sweet, like breads and tomato sauce, have added sugar.

Dr. Robert Lustig in Fat Chance discusses this in great detail. I enumerated a lot of his basic points on my blog. He is a pediatric endocrinologist and he focuses mostly on sugar, a little on salt, and also on fiber. He also discusses why different diets work well for different groups of people, which may be interesting to you as there has been such a debate over what kind of diet is "best." Some people, especially with Latin American heritage, have a genetic mutation that makes them very vulnerable to liver disease, just as one example.

It's interesting stuff, and it's available on audiobook. I now have the audiobook and the Kindle version, because I wanted his detailed diet information in a more readable form.

Unknown said...

P.S. Size 10 jeans is a really cool thing. I didn't want to miss congratulating you on that one. I wish I were there with you. I carry my weight in my lower body so I am in size 12 dresses but still need 14 in jeans.

Debbi said...

I remember your post about Dr. Lustig's book. Thanks for the reminder. You make a good point about what SAD omits, rather than what it includes. And even though the FDA's "My Plate" graphic suggests nearly half of our plate should be filled with vegetables and fruit, I'm pretty sure most people find it easier to grab a processed, packaged snack rather than peel an orange.

Debbi said...

Thanks again! You'll get there.

Day Last

 Mike finished his chemo yesterday. The cumulative effects of four rounds beginning in early July are making him pretty uncomfortable, and t...