Saturday, November 2, 2013

Tonight's the night

I'm heading to Charleston this afternoon for tonight's WV J-J Dinner, the big Democratic fundraiser for the year. Keynote speaker is Vice-President Biden.

Yes, I'm having dinner with the Vice-President, along with 1,999 other devoted West Virginia Democrats. Doors open at 4 p.m., and no one will be admitted after 5:30 p.m. Security is, of course, tight-tight-tight.

First things first, though … I haven't had a good long-ish walk in several days, I'll be heading to my favorite flat road with my husband for at least a five-miler this morning.

I want to say another little something-something about the candy I ate Thursday night. I don't FOR A MINUTE think four pieces of candy is going to hurt me in the long run. I'd hoped to avoid it, but in the end chose not to. I don't FOR A MINUTE think that makes me weak-willed. I think it makes me human, and I also think I'm still in the experimental phase.

Having that sugar hangover the next day is something I hope I remember next time I face down a bowl of free candy bars.

I can see, after seven months, that the paleo way of eating agrees with me. I like being pain-free. I enjoy having more energy. I appreciate how well my body moves and responds when I want or need it to. I don't feel like grazing or eating mindlessly – this is probably the most surprising benefit of the plan.

I also like how my mind works these days. I rarely crave a certain food (I wasn't craving candy, as an example). As much as I used to love the whole pizza process – making the crust AND the cheese, putting it all together, savoring every delicious bite – I'm just not interested in finding out what grains will do to my gut. I'm much more interested in feeding myself reasonable portions of simply prepared whole foods.

As for tonight's dinner, my experience throughout this process is that even when I'm not in charge of my food, I've been able to make acceptable choices. I hope that will be the case this evening. I won't have a problem refusing dessert.

I just hope the entrée isn't pasta.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I hadn't seen the post about the candy but of course, I don't think that the occasional treat is that big of a deal. You know now that too much sugar (which, after no sugar for so long, four treat-sized bars probably was a lot all at once) doesn't agree with you and you won't be as tempted next time. No big deal.

Enjoy the dinner tonight! I hope they have some good options for you. Joe Biden would be a much more entertaining dinner guest than Obama (as much as I admire him, I find him to be very dull as a speaker most of the time).

Day Last

 Mike finished his chemo yesterday. The cumulative effects of four rounds beginning in early July are making him pretty uncomfortable, and t...