Tuesday, November 5, 2013

What I wore to the J-J Dinner

Those of you who've known me a long, long time might remember a knitting workshop in Blacksburg several years ago where we learned to make a cardigan called the Carolyn Jacket. The class was taught by the designer, Carolyn White, a lovely woman from Kentucky, I think, and the jacket I made ended up being very dressy. Dressy enough to wear to the J-J Dinner. I got SO many compliments on it, and I was very happy to finally get to wear it.

The pattern was published in 2001. I've searched the interwebz for a link to buy the pattern, but have only found a photo of one other finished jacket. Which is kind of surprising, because it really is a stunning piece and the construction is ingenious.

It begins with a fabric vest-like piece, to which you add knitted sides, sleeves and button bands. The pattern includes a formula for calculating how much of each different yarn you'll need (three colors, to coordinate with the fabric) and, of course, knitting instructions. It comes together pretty quickly, since you're not knitting the back and front.

I'd originally planned to wear a short sleeveless dress with a wrap, but it really was too cold after the dinner had to be postponed. I probably could have gotten away with it, but the wrap never got finished and the jacket was just hanging there, waiting to be worn.

It never looked right when I was heavier. I think I've only previously worn it twice in all these years.

I think it will be a wardrobe staple from now on.

Welcome to those of you who are new readers from BlogHer's NaBloPoMo. I hope you'll read the archives and stick around. My posts tend to be all over the place, but this year have focused on my pursuit of a normal weight before I get too old and decrepit to move easily. I was heading in that direction last year, when I saw a terrible-awful number on the scale Christmas morning.

The numbers have been looking pretty good ever since. I've had the single-minded goal of getting this job DONE, for the last time, and I'm well on my way.

Thanks for stopping by.

1 comment:

Vickie said...

Very cute jacket. I like unusual pieces like that.

Darlin' did you ever get fitted for new bras?

Day Last

 Mike finished his chemo yesterday. The cumulative effects of four rounds beginning in early July are making him pretty uncomfortable, and t...