Monday, December 23, 2013

Could have been worse

Up one pound for this morning's weekly weigh-in, which isn't really so awful considering my deviation from plan for a couple days last week.

I want to assure both of you that I knew what I was doing. Desperate times call for desperate measures fudge. And toast. I had paleo food on hand. But you know what? Even opening a can of tuna and mixing it with homemade mayonnaise, which I'd made a couple days ago, needs to be cleaned up with running water.

My choice of sustenance was based on two things:

  1. How much mess would I create that then couldn't be properly cleaned, and 
  2. Would it comfort me?

I rarely reach for canned anything when I need to feed my emotions. In fact, I think it's safe to say I never do. And believe me, I needed to feed those emotions.

As of this morning I am 98 percent of the way to my deadline and 85 percent of the way to my goal. Although I've already surpassed, by five pounds, my original goal of losing 50 pounds by Christmas. I couldn't be happier about that. Ten to go to reach the revised goal of minus-65. Not gonna happen in the next two days. Heh.

I've been cleaning like a crazy person, now that water is in abundant supply. And I made a feast (and a completely paleo-friendly one at that) for dinner yesterday. My husband and I finally had our just-the-two-of-us Thanksgiving dinner, and it seemed quite appropriate to have it the day after the water came back on.

We had turkey, gravy (thickened with arrowroot) deviled eggs, cranberry sauce (my jumping-off point, I used fresh chopped-up oranges instead of juice and added a smidge of vanilla and a handful of trail mix), a mashed sweet potato/carrot mixture, broccoli and maple pumpkin custard.

If you visited here later yesterday you'll see I changed my exercise plan from indoors to out. The temperature was so mild I just couldn't work out on the elliptical. I got pretty soaked, but I don't melt. And it felt great to get a six-miler in. It's been a while.

And I only have to log nine more miles to hit 1300 for the year, totally shattering my original goal of a thousand.

I've also been knitting like a crazy person. I finished the clogs for my daughter-in-law last night. Need to throw them in the washing machine today to felt them down from clown-sized to adult woman-sized. I'd thought I might have to wrap them pre-felting, but there's plenty of time for them to dry before we get together after Christmas.

The gift knitting is done and I can get back to the leg warmers I started for myself a couple months ago. Only a few more rounds of ribbing and the first will be finished.

So I've written this morning about knitting, running walking and eating. For reaping, I picked my final citrus harvest a couple days ago. The lemon and lime trees were outgrowing the available space I had for them and have now found a new home. They're in good hands. That makes me happy.

And so does getting back on track with the food! I do believe we'll have leftover turkey for at least one meal today.

2 comments:

Vickie said...

I find the "can't clean up" thing very interesting.

Honestly my mind went to "booze because the water is contaminated".

I don't think you would turn to booze, not saying that, but it is a good analogy in my opinion.

Paper plates, paper towels, bottled water, wipes. Tuna can be eater out of the can . .

Debbi said...

I can't stand to put a can that contained food in it in the trash without rinsing it out first. And again ... it wasn't fuel I needed. It was comfort.

Day Last

 Mike finished his chemo yesterday. The cumulative effects of four rounds beginning in early July are making him pretty uncomfortable, and t...